Perth III

Perth Travel Blog

Had a nice day planned on a boat today but got let down at the last minute much to my disappointment. Caught the train back to town and cheered myself up with some expensive UK Hula Hoops, Revels and real Cadbury's Giant Buttons. From Birmingham, not NZ.:) Looked at changing currency for Asia but my cheque STILL hasn't cleared dagnamit. I met Neil for a quick milkshake at lunchtime in West Perth, and then spent the afternoon in the internet cafe before meeting him at Annalakshmi, a vegetarian Indian restaurant near the Bell Tower on the Esplanade. The restaurant is run by volunteers and customers are invited to help themselves to the food 'as much as their heart desires and pay whatever their heart feels'. At first this was a winning arrangement and they made more than they had running as a regular restaurant but with rising rental costs and price of supplies customers are invited to be a little more generous. It probably doesn't help that the Lonely Planet endorses it so the scummy cheapo backpackers take advantage. Did I have two plates? Well almost. Did I pay more than 10 bucks? No I didn't.*

*(though I would have done if Neil hadn't paid on my behalf!)

Incidentally, the next installment of the saga of my Perth-Sydney flight, after many calls to Emirates in the UK at 2am last night, I hit on asking my friend Barry to use his staff discount with Virgin Blue. He booked the flight at 6am and I checked the itinerary at 5pm to find he'd booked me on a Perth to Melbourne flight! Argh!

Perth