Mount Trio & drive to Esperance

Esperance Travel Blog

Natural Bridge

Another 6am start!! And made worse by the crashing in of some very loud party people at 3.15am which woke up half the hostel. I was so incensed it took me ages to get back to sleep, so the long drive to the Stirling Ranges gave me time to catch some more zzzs on the bus curled up under my towel and with the loan of a pillow.

We started at The Gap and the Natural Bridge at just past sunrise. We had to be careful as it's a dangerous stretch of coastline with many people killed either by intentional suicide throwing themselves to the waves and the sharks, or by accidental gusts of wind and freak waves. But we climbed over the rocks for half an hour, courting vertigo and enjoying the early morning sea air.

At Mount Trio we hiked 45 minutes to the summit up steep shale and through thick bush.

The Gap
It was tough going on the knees, with some steps being about that height and hard to push yourself over. Thankfully the weather was on our side and it wasn't very sunny so we weren't sweating buckets in the heat. The summit was beautiful and well worth the walk, and after messing around on top a bit with the 'amusing' sign, we headed back down again in about half an hour.

On to lunch in the National Park nearby and then a 'sad' moment when our group got split, and the '3 dayers' got shuttled back to Perth, and the '5 dayers' (i.e. me and 6 others) went on to Esperance with the driver. I only really got on well with one or two of the group leaving anyway, so no major drama, and we get lots more space now with a double seat for everyone - yay!

The drive to Esperance took about 5 hours so the driver was begging company at the front.

I took my usual position as 'driver's mate' and we chatted all the way down. The drive was pretty uneventful, and I inwardly laughed at the Australian cliche of long, straight roads disappearing into the distance with no change in the scenery. Fortunately this drive differed slightly from those on the west coast in having hills which relieved the tedium, and many more tiny, sunny towns to stop at with the orange pindam soil, and beautiful river gums shining pink in the late afternoon light.

We arrived in Esperence at our lovely waterside hostel and had lasagne provided by the hostel. It's nicer being in a smaller group, as I discovered on the east coast, I much prefer it, though the remaining group is mostly German again and they prefer to speak German among themselves. I don't worry though, at this late stage I'm not going to make firm friends with anyone so I'll just enjoy myself.

At the top of Mount Trio