Montezuma & Cradle Mountain

Cradle Mountain Travel Blog

Boats at Strahan

This morning we started with a pleasant breakfast of hot cross buns in the sunshine in Strahan overlooking the water. Then it was a drive to Henty Dunes, a 14km stretch of sand that stretches along the west coastline. To reach the summit of the dunes takes a brief but steep walk in the soft sand (in the words of a friend 'sand is a great equaliser, everyone looks like a wanker trying to walk on it') before you arrive on the plateau facing mile upon mile of soft, yellow sand and the distant sea crashing.

From here we moved on to Montezuma, and after a brief picnic lunch, we set off on the 3 hr return walk through the forest to the falls, It was peaceful, and not too hot in the dappled light. In fact it was quite muddy in places, and I almost got a swamped foot as I tried to bypass the main path by climbing the natural embankment.

Me at Henty Dunes
At the falls we sat and took in the beauty of it for a time, and played on the suspension bridge nearby where the mining trains used to run, being sprayed by the falls. We also explored the nearby cave which was spooky and dripping wet before heading back. The walk was mostly uneventful apart from the sight of a black snake slithering into the bush beside the path ahead. Brown snakes are the most poisonous, but black snakes are more dangerous as they are more aggressive. We had no need to worry this time however as the snake was not ingterested in us and we hadn't upset it.

From here we headed to Cradle Mountain, arriving at the base of the park just in time to catch the shuttle bus up to the farthest drop-off, Dove Lake.

Montezuma Falls
Other drop-offs on the way are for the various walking tracks around Cradle Mountain National Park, and we overheard one enthusiastic walker describing the 12km he and his 5 yr old daughter had completed that morning! I can't see my niece Orlaith being so tolerant...

Crade Mountain was simply beautiful, the landscape was green and gold, dotted with the silvery-grey gum trees, brilliant blue sky and royal blue water. The sinking sun set off the hills and lit up the mountain top. We walked to Glacer Rock, previously Suicide Rock, though no one has ever been killed here, before heading back on the bus, eyes peeled on a wombat hunt. I managed to see 5 wombats, 2 distant dark spots, one fluffy 'bum shot' in the woods, and two close by feeding among the late day shadows. Zoe, determined to catch a wombat to take home, barely saw two bless her, and was disappointed. We planned to go creature hunting at dusk, but I cooked and we sat out on the veranda chatting instead.

Us at Cradle Mountain