Melbourne

Melbourne Travel Blog

Federation Square

We are staying at an 'Indigenous Hospitality House', a house of 5 flatmates who have indigenous people to stay when they are visiting friends or family in hospital. They recieve donations of meat and produce from local churches and often cook for their guests. They don't have guests during school holidays to give themselves a break and we have arrived in time to take advantage of this, though in fact we are staying in one of the absent house mate's rooms in a shared bed with a beautiful sunny balcony.

Zoe and I split up today for exploring the city to give one another a break, and so I wandered through the sunny streets, first to Federation Square where I watched a street performer put on a show. Then I walked down to the Yarra River and along to the Federation Bells; an art and music installaton to commemorate the Commonwealth Games in 2006.

Melbourne beyond the ferris wheel
The bells protrude from the ground on stalks and can be programmed to play different tunes. I walked across the William Bakar bridge which also has a music installation playing songs from different cultures from a multitude of different speakers across the bridge, and from where you get a lovely cityscape. From here I walked back to Federation Square, past the 'Great Wall of Books', another interactive art and performance installation and started heading back home, via some book and shoe shops, oops.

I loved everything about Melbourne; the vibrancy, the cafes, the shops, the theatre, the art, the protests. I'd been told that there's always something going on and I really felt that. Round every corner was another museum, play, advert, or poster describing another event that sounded fascinating. I felt bombarded with cool, interesting things and could barely remember them all to investigate further at a later date. I arrived home on a high, swinging my bags and regaling Ant, Sam and Zoe with the cool things I'd seen and heard.

We enjoyed some snacks and drinks on our balcony and then settled in their giant front yard-cum-outside sitting room with 4 sofas for a barbecue. Jo, another house mate joined us, and Jason from next door again and we sat chatting till late before I went to bed with one of my new books.

The Federation Bells
The Federation Bells
Melbourne skyline
Melbourne skyline
The Forum
The Forum
Street performer juggling fire on …
Street performer juggling fire on…
Melbourne