Makarora

Makarora Travel Blog

Beside Lake Wanaka

Our first stop today was at lakes Wanaka and Hawea, renowned for their mountain reflection but unfortunately the wind was quite choppy and the mountains bathed in cloud so we couldn't see the reflections OR the mountains! We then carried on driving along the Glacier road, stopping off to see some distant seals and to take photos at the Gates of Haast creeks.

The air conditioning was broken on the bus and in temperatures of 30 degrees and with 25 people on the bus it was almost unbearablly sticky. Every stop was a great relief and getting back on the bus that much harder as it heated up in the sun. When we arrived at our hostel in Marakau, replete with gorgeous triangular rooms and all beds at ground level (no bunks!) we were relieved to be directed to the hostel pool, but disappointed to discover it swampy and unkempt so we decided to head to the river to cool off.

Distant seals
The scenery here in Mount Aspiring National Park was spectacular, the fast-running wide river surrounded by steep, green hills, and snow-capped mountains beyond. The water, being glacial, was freezing and we tip-toed in it, afraid to get in. I splashed everyone though and soon found myself pushed and dragged under by screaming people. Once we got in it was better, though my extremities ended up being numb. The mud too was sparkly, flecked with gold, (New Zealand gold is extremely fine) and no doubt very good for the skin.

Tom, Lukas and I cooked in the unusual hexagonal kitchen, before heading down to the bar for kareoke. Barry put me down for Britney Spears, which was embarrassing having earlier described myself as a reasonable singer and then showing myself up to be quite the opposite!

The Haast Pass