Luang Prabang

Luang Prabang Travel Blog

Wat

I wasn't sure today how or when I was going to leave Luang Prabang to head south again to Si Phan Don so this morning before check out I needed to make sure what time and how much buses were. After doing several laps of the town I had warded off any further chance of disorientation, had a fabulous mint choclate milkshake at L'Etranger bookshop and cafe, booked my onward bus tickets for tomorrow, snapped some 'Wats' (temples) and had a mediocre breakfast at Cafe des Artes.

I headed back to the hotel to change with the intention of doing all my sight-seeing that afternoon but bumped into Laura sat outside in the garden and went to join her.

Royal Palace Museum
Dan was sick all morning and was still sleeping, so I sat with her till he woke up and we all wandered out a cafe for ice cream (or lunch). After a brief walk down to the Mekong we agreed to head back to the hotel to skin up before heading up to the main temple Wats on the hill in the centre of town for sunset where we could enjoy a relaxing cone before dinner. Unfortunately we timed the sunset wrong, so simply set out for dinner on the east side of town on the Nam Khan tributary.

Here we stopped at the Lao Lao Garden, a beautifully lit garden restaurant with the fairy lights and dark wooden square tables and benches. We were attracted mainly by the Lao-style barbecue, and the offer of 2 for 1 Lao cocktails despite the introductory prices of the brand new opening 'The House' bar and restaurant down the road.

Village on the Mekong
All the bars and restaurants down here seem like Meditteranean 'style' bars and all look very trendy but barbecue was too tempting.

First a waiter arrived to remove a square tile from the centre of our table - the 'stealth' table as it was now dubbed. Then a giant bucket of hot coals was lowered into it, followed by a metal convex hot plate with a moat rim and a bucket of hot watery soup. We debated whether we were supposed to drink this as an appetiser as many Asian soups are of the same bland, consistency but I'm glad we didn't drink it all... When the waiter returned with a plate of raw buffalo, pork and chicken meat, and basket of green salad, vegetables, eggs and glass noodles, he started first with some slices of fat which he slid across the convex area of the hot plate before laying bits of meat around the bowl. He then ladled the soup into the moat rim of the hot plate and put the noodles and vegetables in the hot soup to soften. He then let us get on with it! We had dipping bowls of chilli and raw garlic, and satay sauce, Laura had a garden vegetable pasta which was absolutely heaven, and it was 2 for 1 on Lao cocktails (with Lao wine) and every one was delicious. With such great company, and such great food and drink, we had a really lovely 'farewell' dinner before a beer and spliff at the hotel before bed.
Laos barbecue!