AsiaVietnamHue

Hoi An III

Hue Travel Blog

Hoi An

Busy day today, picked up my trainers and my clothes, we had to run to the bank, grab some lunch at Cargo (their patisserie counter ROCKS) and be back at the hotel for the 2pm bus to Hue. I normally enjoy the bus journeys as it gives me time to read, but I was feeling pretty restless and the incessant beeping of every single driver as they pass every single other driver is infuriating, particularly when you are sitting behind the driver. This frustration is one of the most infuriating things about Vietnam, worse still than New York, because 90% of road traffic are motorcycles and often get in the way. Added to this some drivers are just horn-crazy. They could be driving down an empty road at 3am in the dark and still find cause to honk...

We arrived in Hue at about 5.50pm and allowed ourselves to be led to the Phong Nha hotel in the backpacker area. We have been pretty lucky with these hotel touts and the one time we stayed faithful to The Book we paid over the odds for a shabby room. Our tout did not fail us, and before long we were back out again hunting down tours for tomorrow and a bite to eat. We ended up at the Mandarin Cafe which was good, and would have liked to have gone for a drink but 'backpacker land' was strangely devoid of obvious bars and restaurants. We did a '4-point' exploration of each direction on the intersection and gave up.

Covered Bridge, Hoi An
Covered Bridge, Hoi An
Hue Hostels review
Ngu Phong Guesthouse, Hue
Once again we eschewed the Lonely Planet recommendations and instead trusted in the clamouring hotel touts shouting “air con, hot water, free breakf… read entire review
Hue