Hoi An II

Hoi An Travel Blog

Hoi An lantern stall

Raining again today so after some omlette breakfast we trudged out to the tailors for re-fits. The suit, shirts, coat and gypsy dress are especially beautiful. The kaftan dresses, jeans and shorts need a little tweaking. The trouser suit was so beautiful that in no time the ladies managed to convince us both to order another suit each, and another 2 shirts for me. The idea being that I will have interview clothes for after traveling.

After a brief stop at the hotel to pick up laundered trainers to take to the shop to be copied, we set off around town to see the historical houses and cultural sights. Along with more and yet more shopping of course. We stopped at; Quan Cong's Temple, the Hoi An Museum of History & Culture, the Phuc Kien Assembly Hall, the Old House of Quan Thanh (I think), the Cantonese Assembly Hall, the Japanese Covered Bridge, the Old House of Tan Ky and the Traditional Theatre.

Hoi An
By 4pm we were bushwacked and starving, and went back to Cargo for a late lunch and a cocktail (who'd believe we were in Vietnam?), before wandering through the market and back to the tailors for another refit.

By now we were on familiar terms with the shop ladies who slapped our bums, lifted our skirts, tickled our ribs and hugged us. So much for demure Asians! Most items were perfect but I couldn't resist requesting a final dress in the design of another and so they asked me to return tomorrow to collect all the clothes together. Zoe on the other hand was awarded her large bag of goodies and verily nearly skipped back to the hotel to do a catwalk fashion show of her buys.

We had a little dinner of Cau Lao which is a dish only authentic in Hoi An as it requires water from the Ba La Well. It is fried noodles with sliced pork in water, and for 66p it tasted great. Perhaps tomorrow before we leave I will try 'white rose'....