Heading to the Hunter Valley for the weekend

Hunter Valley Travel Blog

I felt honoured today to be invited to a weekend away in the Hunter Valley wine region. One of Neli's workmates, Michelle, her parents are part owners of a vineyard called Broken Wood, and Michelle arranged a weekend away for 15 of us to go away when I returned from New Zealand. I met them on a long lunch break drinking Chardonnay in the sunshine at the Greenwood and then we packed up the cars and they ditched work for the afternoon.

The Hunter Valley is beautiful, and unsurprisingly fields of grape vines cover every rolling slope in ordered squares and diamond shapes. We arrived at the vineyard around 7pm and were shown to the upper floor above the cellar door which had a long, wide wooden table, an open-plan kitchen, about 15 beds of doubles and singles in one large multi-level room and long wooden balcony with seating area. We were told to help ourselves to anything in the catering-size fridges, including the bottles of wine, clear-skins, part-empty tasting bottles and anything else we could find. We bought an extra 6 from the bottle-shop, 2 slabs of beer, and prepared some antipasto, crusty bread and dips and started the party!

Broken Wood cellar door