Flying to Auckland, New Zealand

Auckland Travel Blog

Another early start for me and I arrived to a huge check-in queue that didn't seem to be moving fast. News eventually was broadcast the the flight was cancelled and I could see that people at the front of the queue were slowly being redirected. The first 150 people apparently got moved to other flights with other companies, but for us last 150 we had to wait 10 hours for a new plane to be chartered. They issued me with 2 vouchers for $15 each and I set off first for a breakfast of Phad Thai, and then to find a small corner of the airport to wait in. I found a chair and dozed for about 4 hours before enjoying a healthy dinner of kebab (it is healthy here!). In fact I ate like a king today comparatively to normal, I don't usually afford to spend so much on food!

After eating I checked in for my 8pm flight and then found a wireless hotspot before catching the flight with Air New Zealand. It wasn't better than Emirates, in fact I had been quite looking forward to flying with them again, but we eventually touched down in Auckland where I discovered my phone has no coverage and no roaming, I'll have to get another new number! Andy was waiting for me in Arrivals, and we had a little time before bed to catch up.

Auckland