Flight to Broome

Broome Travel Blog

Flying into Broome - the cliffs were alight

A sleepy goodbye to David this morning as I stood like a giant cotton manta ray inside a duvet-cover I've been using as a cover. Hands and feet at each corner, and sleepily waving like a cotton manta-ray. I caught the train into the city and was about to catch the SkyBus to the airport when a guy approached me asking if I wanted a lift to the airport in a limo for the same price. I agreed, suspiciously, but was reassured that another girl had already agreed, and indeed it was 3 girls ultimately that took the offer. As it turned out, it wasn't a limo, just an executive car, but the guy had been doing transfers to and from the airport all morning for high-paid and important people but 3 times had driven back with no passengers so was out hawking. We had a much more pleasant journey that we would otherwise have had, and quicker too, so we didn't mind.

Flying into Broome

Uneventful trip to Broome really, transferred at Perth and enjoyed some delicious wine courtesy of some promotional competition near my gate. I looked out for red earth, but the fields seemed much the same as at home, with their squares and patches, but pinker, not red.

As we flew into Broome the sun was just setting and we caught the most dramatic sunset. The coastline looked like it was on fire; I couldn't work out what could be causing it. I guessed red earth, but why so reflective? As the plane swung round I could see the fiery sunset behind us, and as we landed the sky erupted in magenta pink. Getting off the plane the humidity was thick and sticky despite the darkening skies.

I arrived to a terrific but deserted hostel. Someone's ambitious project, but empty in the wet season; it has a decent-sized pool (most you couldn't swim laps in they are so small, just for bathing in), spacious outdoor terraces downstairs and decking upstairs with chocolate wicker furniture and deck-chair striped cushions. I moved my stuff into a hot, sticky room and searched frantically for the advertised air-conditioning, but found only fan controls. I was feeling cheated and horrified at the prospect of a night attempting to sleep in the humidity, until I finally read the hostel hand-out to find out the air con comes on automatically at 9pm - T minus 9 minutes - yay!

Flying into Broome - the cliffs we…
Flying into Broome - the cliffs w…
photo by: Morle