Fishing & Exploring

Exmouth Travel Blog

Sunrise at Town Beach

Since we rented the fishing rod for 24 hrs we decided to get up early and go fishing again from Bundegi beach. We had hoped to fish from the Navy Pier (one of the top 10 dive sites in the world) but the road was closed so we went instead to nearby Bundegi beach and fished from the beach and the pier. Danny and I took Sebastian and Hide with us, and we shared the rod while they used hand lines from the pier. Once again we were entirely unsuccessful, and aside from one major tug from a fish which sadly broke the hook with the bait off, there was nothing, not even little fish nibbling at the bait. The morning was beautiful though, and already getting hot so I was happy sat in the shallows of the cool water with the rod wedged in the sand instead of skewering my stomach and hips.

Ryan, me, Thorben and Ryan
I have learned that holding a rod is not as comfortable as it looks....

Danny went for a swim with his mask on and he came back and asked me which ear was less sensitive - Danny-speak for which one should he tell the bad news to. 'There is NO fish' he said, 'go look for yourself'. I swam out and looked under, and swallowed so much water I laughed so much. The visibility was great, so you could see about 30 metres around, and there was absolutely no life of any kind anywhere. It is impossible to truly convey the hilarity of the sight of miles and miles of pristine sand sea-bottom, with no rocks or seaweed or fish ANYWHERE. Nothing.

Nonetheless, we fished for a bit longer; Sebastian and Hide had little fish under the pier but they wouldn't have been big enough to take even if we'd caught one.

Me and Danny

Back at the hostel Danny decided we should go on a picnic since Gem and Thorban were busy diving. We picked up food from IGA and drove down the east coast past the lighthouse in search of a good beach with calm surf and, we hoped in vain, a tree for some shade. So we drove into every bay between the lighthouse and the boat ramp, stopping here for a beer, there for some food, here for some swimming or a walk. We bumped into Ryan and Ryan at the boat ramp as they prepared to go out on their boat again, a boat that later would crash to the tarmac when Shay swerved to avoid a monitor lizard and threw the boat from the trailer! Oops.

We finally returned around 6pmish to go shopping for fajitas for us 4. Thorban and Gem were thrilled to return exhausted from diving to another fantastic meal from Danny and once again we all got drunk until we got kicked out of the kitchen area for making too much noise. Again.

Exmouth