My First Day in Australia

Sydney Travel Blog

I expected my arrival to Australia to be quite lonely. Andy had arrived the day before for the 'Bucks Night' for the wedding he is out here attending, and enjoying a 2 week holiday at the same time. He was greeted with whistles and cold beer by men wearing Guinness slippers and tiger feet, but I expected him to still be in some state of inebriation staggering around somewhere random when I arrived.

Since my travel mates Megha and Zoe don't arrive for a another 2 days and 2 months respectively I expected to have to drop my bag at the hotel we had booked for the following night and entertain myself around Sydney in day old travel clothes till the early check-in at 10am.

However, thanks to the lameness of the groom who peaked too early (who shall remain nameless till I know him to publicise his extreme rubbishness!) Andy was waiting with open arms in pyjama bottoms on the 14th floor city view hotel room bearing fizzy Pinot Grigio - yay!

I showered all the travel off me and then was treated to a massage before we settled down for a jetlaggy snooze and waited for the Sydney weather to cheer up. After a couple of hours we awoke to a blue sky, sunshine and hungry bellies so we took a taxi down to Darling Harbour for some lunch. By a stroke of luck we happened across a fabulous restaurant where we enjoyed some top notch grub though in retrospect it seems great food is pretty standard here! I had Tasmanian salmon with chive and lemon sauce to start, with veal, prawns and sweet potato mash for main, and Andy grossed me out with some oysters to start with, an amazing seafood platter, both washed down with a couple of Hahns (beer).

After a fantastic first meal we jumped on a boat around the harbour for a first look at the Sydney Opera House and Harbour Bridge at sunset. The boat took us round all the bays, Double bay, Shark bay, the nudist beaches (!), the Zoo and Luna amusement park, plus a rundown of 'who's who' and 'who lives where and for how much'. Great views, lucky barstewards.

We jumped off at Circular Quay and had a wander round the closing shops in search of chocolate milk, finding instead a great natural fibres clothes shop where we picked up some threads. Then into a taxi, before heading back to the hotel (where the chocolate milk requirement was satiated by the exciting discovery of 'Big M' milk in the convenience shop next door) and getting an early night to get in a good 8 hours of sleep before our 7am flight to Cairns next morning. Good company, good wine, good food, and a first good look at the iconic Sydney Opera House - what more could anyone wish for on their first day in Australia?

Sydney Hotels & Accommodations review
I liked this hotel. It wasn't as marvellously well-placed as it suggests; it comes up in a search of 'closest to Darling Harbour' but it's about 15 mi… read entire review
Sydney