The Ferry to Picton

Picton Travel Blog

Me trying not to throw up

Today we were up early to catch the 8.30am ferry to Picton on the south island. We checked our bags in and mooched around the boat hung over, but still laughing. I quite enjoy being hung over, it makes the world more amusing somehow. I treated myself to a full English breakfast despite normally omitting breakfast on account of the fact that it makes me feel weird to eat so early. This was a mistake. The sailing conditions were 'moderate' alledgedly, but it became clear as we tried to pull out of port that the boat was pitching and rolling horribly. Where we sat in the food court on the 8th deck the sea spray was regularly crashing against the window, completely obscuring the view with white water. I have never been sea sick but the pitching was causing me to lose my stomach and hang on tight to the table - breakfast and hangover not helping the situation either.

Our fabulous dinner
I have been on a few ferries in my time, but if this is what's considered reasonably normal, and from surveying the group it was, I must just have been very lucky to have always had plain sailing. We went down to the 2nd deck to find a more stable spot and eventually settled in the chlldren's playground; bizarrely bereft of small urchins and pleasingly comfortable to lie around in. We fell asleep for an hour or so and were expecting the passenger announcement to hail our arrival in Picton, when we were informed that the journey would take another 3 hours because of the weather! The staff posted a children's activity book through the playground netting and we passed an amusing couple of hours learning about Captain Cook, doing crosswords and pitting everyone against each other in New Zealand related trivia.

Finally we arrived in sunny Picton and jumped onto a bus with a bunch of new people. We then set off on anothern reasonably long and uneventful journey to Abel Tasman National Park, our home for the next day. We arrived at Old MacDonalds Farm and Markus, a Hawaiin ex-cook rustled us up some barracuda, chicken drumsticks, satay, grilled veg and salad and we enjoyed a tasty meal before having a few drinks and chatting in the kitchen.

Picton