Denham to Kalbarri

Kalbarri Travel Blog

Shell Beach

The 'Fantastic Four' had agreed the previous night to stay an extra day in Denham, suspectly because there were Swedish girls the boys were hankering after, but when it became clear the hostel had emptied and most of our brief friends and courtships had moved on, the boys quickly changed their mind and decided to head straight onto Kalbarri.

We stopped briefly at Shell Beach, a long stretch of almost pure white coastline with dunes of tiny, pretty, white shells. We found a little jellyfish propelling himself around the crystal clear water, and also a giant flying monster that seemed ntent on landing on my white clothes, but only succeeded in chasing me across the peaks and troughs while the boys only looked on and laughed.

Jellyfish!
We intended also to stop at the Stromatolites, examples of the oldest living organisms in Earth, the precursor to life, but sadly leaving a German guy in charge of spotting signposts with long, unitelligible names was probably an error of judgement and he drove right past them.

Since we were driving in the heat of the day with no air con, the temperature in the car was almost unbearable and the repeated stops to cool down the radiator and refill the water provided a welcome break to stretch legs. However they really only increased the frustration as lack of shade, 40 degree temperatures and endless flies trying to fly into our ears, noses, eyes and mouths drove us almost to the brink. It was a relief to pull into Kalbarri, a beautiful and lush tropical town on the beach and arrive at our hostel to be greeted immediatley by Danny who had arrived by Greyhound himself at 10am.

We arrived pretty late so there was just time to do a stop at the bottle shop and the IGA to grab hot chicken and wine for dinner. We 5 had the chicken with curried vegetables and met a man with a dead snake (road kill) selling silver jewellery ingots. I commissioned him to make me a ring with stamps reminding me of my trip; with a turtle, shark, crab, seahorse, and fish, with tiny stars (in honour of the Australian Southern Cross flag) and with my name and and stamp of Australia on the inside for $85. I couldn't really afford it, but couldn't resist such a beautiful souvenier. He promised to have it at reception by midday next day.

Kalbarri