Christchurch

Christchurch Travel Blog

Lindis pass

Today the 4 of us jumped on the bus with a new driver and started driving to Christchurch. We drove first on the stunning Lindis Pass, stopping just past the summit for photos, and stopped at the spectacular Lake Pukaki and Lake Tekapo, with their gorgeous blue waters with snow-capped mountains in the distance. A friend had suggested a quiet walk and a long think-and-a-stare at Lake Tekapo was his must-do in New Zealand so I obliged, sat on my rock among the beautiful purple and pink flowers.

We later stopped in Geraldine, at my request, for a famous cheese shop, where I bought some aged gouda, some local cheese; castle rock, some peppered harvati and some canterbrie, plus some soft white bread and some tomato and olive relish. Heaven.

From Geraldine it was a final push up to Christchurch. We wandered out at 5pm to look for places to eat and drink, but despite the long list of things to do in Christchurch our bus driver had given us, we were slightly disappointed by the lack of life in the city. Perhaps when you have been spoiled with beautiful scenery for so many weeks, cities seem somehow lacking in grace and interest. We grabbed some kebab and a couple in the home of 'the biggest pint in New Zealand' but then settled ourselves with beer in the hostel as we were all heading different ways in the morning and needed to take it easy.

Sitting in front of Lake Pukaki