Cataract Gorge, monkeys, pigs and waterfalls

Pyengana Travel Blog

Cataract Gorge

We started our day with breakfast by Cataract Gorge. Reason for name remains unknown (to us anyway). We walked across the suspension bridge, which allowed us view up the gorge, and then walked round the wide pool it forms near the park, where hapless teenagers were making full use of the quieter waters before it traveled on through a smaller gully on the far side.

From here we drove into town (not sure which one so don't ask) to have a look at a monkey enclosure. The Japanese Macques were a present from the town's twinned Japanese town and the enclosure is naturally popular with adults and children alike. The monkeys were largely dozing in the shade as the day warmed up, but it was interesting to see the interactions between the heirachy, as monkey playmates were moved on by higher ranking monkeys wanting to be groomed, to fight, or to.

Japanese Macques at Launceston
...well...um...how to put this delicately....?

We made a quick stop in Pyengana to stop for some cheese-tasting, so Zoe and I were happy. We tried some lovely cheesecloth mild, 18 month matured and 2 yr matured cheddar, and some cheddar with chilli, pickled onion, herb and herb and chilli also. I bought the 18 month matured with some seperate pickled onions, and a 'real' milkshake, Zoe went mad and bought sun dried tomato, garlic and pickled onion cheddar. Yum!

Then we drove onto St Columbia Falls, a 30 minute return walk down to the land that time forgot. I keep mentioning these 'return times', merely because we are informed each time we embark. The lovely Tasmans have created a series of 'Great Short Walks' which are obviously advertised at information centres, and boards at the sites are branded and informative.

The Land that Time Forgot - near St Columbia Falls
Every walk we have done so far has been one of these, and all have been spectacular. This one was no exception, and the falls were one of the most picturesque. I saw a lot of waterfalls in New Zealand, and both Russell Falls and St Columbia Falls in Tasmania blew me away.

Despite our knawing hunger (and the promise of cheese!) we paid a quick visit to 'Priscilla the Beer-drinking Pig' who was also sleeping in the shade and refused to entertain us. Her daughter 'Princess of the Paddock' stayed inside her hut, one ear in the sunlight, flapping the flies away idly.

Finally we stopped at Binalong Bay beach for a late lunch. The weather was starting to turn so we couldn't swim, though the temperature of the water would have been probitive anyway - yikes! But the moody skies complimented the bright, green of the waters, and the orange funghi on the rock seemed like an artist's idea.

Our hostel had an ocean view, and we nearly ran to the local to take advantage of happy hour and of free pies and pasties. I can say I have finally had a pie in Australia (they are mad for them), though perhaps these weren't the best to have started with....

Japanese Macques at Launceston
The Land that Time Forgot - near S…
The Land that Time Forgot - near …
St Columbia Falls