Bus to Siem Reap

Siem Reap Travel Blog

Deep fried cockroaches

Yet another early start - I should be counting the lost hours at this rate. At the bus I was sat next to a farang (westerner) for a change. We haggled over fruit through the windows of the bus and when he pointed out the deep fried spiders and cockroaches being sold in the gaggle of vendors I just had to go out and see.

The ice being broken we chatted the whole way to Siem Reap, depriving us both of some well-needed and relied-on nap time, but we got on well and agreed to sight-see together in Angkor Wat. He is a French-Canadian money-launderer from the Roger Moore School of Cool, living in Paris, and after a month's travel in Vietnam and Cambodia had defected from being a stinky backpacker and booked himself into somewhere nice in Siem Reap.

Deep fried spiders
Since there's not much else to see in Siem Reap apart from temples, I decided to stay at a nearby guesthouse in the north end of town nearer his than central backpackerland, and this piece of wisdom paid off when we got off the bus into a dirt-track part of town and taxied into the greener, lusher end. My guest house was still down some dirt track off the main tarmac road that runs through Siem Reap, but it was clean and bright and cheap.

Having settled I met Richard at the FCC bar for drinks beside the reflection pool, we arranged a driver for the temples ($12) through my hotel and headed out to dinner at a nearby restaurant. The food was good, authentic and cheap, on the road near the Caltex petrol station, though we were plagued by mosquitos, and the humidity at our streetside table was almost unbearably sticky. By the end of dinner however I was tired enough to no longer be making much sense, so we turned in ready for a long day tomorrow.

Siem Reap