Back on the bus to Taupo

Taupo Travel Blog

Huka Falls

Today took a turning for the better when I rejoined the Stray bus again and reunited with a bunch of fun-loving chatty travelers. I spent the morning first in the kitchen on the internet, surrepticiously eyeing up someone's cookies sat in a bag beside me. I knew life was back on the up when I found this self same cookies pinned to the noticeboard on the way out with a sign saying 'help yourself'....

The journey to Taupo was almost identical to my first drive to Taupo, not unsurprisingly since I had coincidentally picked up the same bus driver from my first trip. But after some unsubtle hints about his trip innovations and some other unsubtle comparisons between him and some of the more wayward drivers, he made a concession to me by taking us closer to the Huka Falls than previously.

Huka Falls
While the others milled around on the bridge chatting I caught up with the driver on the bus and when no one was looking he let me have a little drive of it round the car park. Hee hee!

Unfortunately, despite having talked myself into doing a sky dive the weather was still looking pretty unlikely and although blue was starting to break through, the firm deemed it was still too windy and rebooked us for the following morning. I had decided that if the weather stayed bad I would do my sky dive and then head back to Auckland, and if it improved I would go south and do the Tongariro Crossing. Sadly that's off for the weekend because of freezing temperatures up top so I guess New Zealand is not the place for me to see volcanoes.

At the hostel I planned a quiet night but crashed a Kiwi Experience bus group playing 'King Cup', a complicated card drinking game. It was a good laugh and then Stray and Kiwi both headed out to a local club, the Holy Cow. I stayed for one drink, but it was like some kind of hell on earth for me so I returned early for a good night's sleep before our sky dive at 8am.

Taupo