Back to Perth

Perth Travel Blog

5.30am start for me today! Olaf had his alarm on doubly early and when he didn't wake up to turn it off, Daniella had to get up and give it to him. I'd missed the sunrise the morning before thinking the sun didn't rise over the water in front of the hostel, but since found out it did so got up. It was lovely being up in the cool, fresh morning, greeting the passers-by, dog-walkers and cyclists, all out enjoying the quiet atmosphere.

We left at 7am and started the 8 hour drive back. We all tried to catch a few more zzzzs though it was hard to do more than doze. We stopped at Wave Rock at around midday, and did a short walk to the Hippo's Yawn before a lunch plagued by flies. Then onto Hyden to see the iron sculptures; Corrigan for the dog cemetary and the note to commerorate the ridiculous 'Dog in a Ute' world record that has been fought over by WA and Victoria states! I think WA currently holds the title for 1300 dogs in utility trucks in a row.... Finally, onto York for a brief stop and a walk around the pretty, old, architectural town. We had a drink in the beautiful newly refurbished bar/restaurant on the corner, and sat in the garden in the sunshine before having a bit of watermelon and pineapple on the last leg back into the city.

Back in Perth we went down to a little jetty on the water in North Perth, over-looking Perth city skyline, and watched the sun set with a bit of dinner, before we were all dropped back off at our hostels and me back at Neil's.

photo by: cimtech