Another lovely wobbly day

Hunter Valley Travel Blog

Palettes of beer

I am a staunch believer that water is the world's great hangover cure, and when I woke at 3.30am to swap beds back again I made sure I drank heaps before falling back asleep. Consequently when I woke at about 8am I should have felt fine, and in fact, I didn't feel awful, but I felt a bit weird.... like something had been stripped from inside me. I felt empty and numb, the sheer volume of alcohol over such a sustained period probably isn't very healthy for my liver and kidneys!

We enjoyed a breakfast of pancakes and maple syrup, before some people did another wine tasting, or walked down to Tempus Two vineyard, or, like us went to the McGuiggan Cheese Shop across the way. The morning was somewhat subdued as we put our fragile heads back together and.....headed off to the Blue Tongue Brewery for some beer and food!

We enjoyed a $10 palette of 6 taster beers; Premiums, Pilsners, Light, Blonde, Dark and my personal favourite, alcoholic ginger beer.

Blue Tongue Brewery
Having tried them all and returned your palette you recieved a free 'Midi' (half pint) of the beer of your choice. No prizes for guessing what I chose....

Anna and I decided to buy a bottle of wine for the journey back. I ignored the crying noises from my internal organs. So we ducked into the cellar door next door and tried a few wines in the search for something fruity, crisp and drinkable. Unfortunately we weren't impressed by the selection as they lacked flavour, but managed to find a fruity, slightly sweet Riesling which would suit our purposes. We also bought some Shiraz and some Verdehlo fortified wines - Ports to you and me, but legally they can't call them that.

The weather became horrible as we drove back to Sydney and the temperature dropped from a muggy and humid 30 degrees at Broken Wood to 20 degrees and pelting rain in Sydney. But we were armed with wine and snacks, and good music. Back at Neil's he got packed again and headed off to the airport to fly to Perth on business and I thanked the lord for having nothing more to do than relax and ease off the excesses of a fantastic weekend. I am so glad I got to experience such a wonderful couple of days.

Hunter Valley