3rd Day Whitsunday sailing and drunk with Room 19

Whitsunday Islands Travel Blog

When hostellers go bad

On the third morning we got up for an early breakfast as before and snorkelled the reef we had anchored beside. I hadn't gone the night before as I'd got pretty cold on the first dive and the sun had been setting on the second, but the early morning cool water was just what I needed to wake me up. The visibility was low but I saw plenty more fish though I did get a little panicky as the current was strong and pulled me close to the coral which was much higher in the water at this tide level, so I headed back pretty quickly.

Back on the boat we just set sail for Airlie beach and back to civilisation. It had been just what we needed to relax after 2 weeks of constant hostel-moving and hard exercise though it gave me more time to think than I had had before and that affected me a bit, on the whole I think I would like to do more sailing! Back on Airlie beach we booked into Beaches hostel and set about cleaning up again.

Airlie Beach at night
At first it was frustrating having endless sand sticking to your skin and grit everywhere, but now we have got used to the black under our fingernails and grimy feet, plus the endless sand in every nook and cranny of your body and luggage. Getting back from a 3 day excursion after no showering and wearing the same clothes always makes that first shower heavenly!

When we first crashed into the hostel we hadn't noticed the bloke napping in the top bunk of one bed and the other out on the balcony. It was only when they coughed that we spun round in surprise and introduced ourselves. One was Jack, an 18 yr old kid fro, Yamba and the other an obviously British bloke, Richard. You can always tell a British bloke by the shaved head and the slightly-too-pink tan, and as it turned out he was Geordie.
Me, Caz and Megha at Magnums
We sat chatting on the balcony for an hour or so before Jack suggested we smuggle a crate of beer into the hostel, so they were sent out to buy it and then passed it up from a parked Ute (utility truck) below the balcony. We sat drinking all afternoon and before long we joined by the rest of the room, Doug, a Canadian, Levi, an Australian and 2 Essex girls. We snuck in another crate of beer before being quietly sent by the hostel inspector off to the beach as we were violating hostel rules.

Down at the beach the sun had already set but the Reef Festival was in full swing with live music in the streets. We sat, bathed in the warm lights and balmy air and had one of those 'I'm in Australia!' moments! After an hour or so Megha and I set off for Magnums for a post-boat party and we had a few sangrias with some of our crew before I recieved a call from my friend Karen and wandered off for an hour long chat. Back at the hostel I meant to head out to find the hostel gang again but since we'd been drinking all day after some early boat mornings, I fell into some well-needed sleep.

Whitsunday Islands