3rd Day in Fraser and my honorary birthday party

Fraser Island Travel Blog

The Pinnacles, Fraser Island

The next day we woke to more scorching sunshine and the Germans decided they were eager to go the beach today and not to spend the whole day in the car as we had the day before. So followed much arguing sbout wherre to go but eventually we agreed on Lake Wabby, stopping at The PInnacles on the way south. Unfortunately we hadn't realised the drive to Lake Wabby was across some of the worst and most frightening terrain we had so far, plus the walk to Lake Wabby would be a 45 minutes walk through forest and then a a walk over a massive sand dune that led steeply down to the water's edge. As it was it was a lovely lake with lots of lovely fish so we all had a swim and lay on the sand relaxing. Amusingly the Germans spent an hour down there before deciding to go back to the van and we followed on the gruelliing return journey about an hour later to drive back to the barge to go home.

Lake Wabby, Fraser Island

Back at the hostel we decided to check into the end hostel of the 3 in Rainbow beach after the trouble we'd had with the thefts. We were honest with Pippies and the police had made enquiries and were planning a raid on the kids' houses that were thought to be involved. The hostel bar had cocktails so we decided to celebrate my birthday that night instead of the following day and Dominic and Geesha from our Fraser Group joined me, Nin, Megha and Esa, plus Sandy from our Noosa trip had turned up so we had a nice turn out. Megha bought a piece of cheesecake for me and a little candle to blow out and Esa bought me a card and chocolates. We got pretty trashed on the cocktails and then later on the leftover goon wine round the campfire at Pippies.

Fraser Island