1st Day sailing round the Whitsunday Islands

Whitsunday Islands Travel Blog

We got up early for breakfast and to check out before making our way down to the harbour to get on the Habibi. 'Nin had got fed up with Airlie already so she dropped us off before heading off to Cairns for the 3 days. As we sat waiting to get on the boat she texted to say the car had broken down 20 mins drive outside town and we could only get her one garage number from the yellow pages before we were ushered onto the boat and left her to her fate not knowing how things would pan out for her...

The name Habibi means 'my baby' or 'my treasure' as it was the owner's pet project. We had been instructed to bring only bags of environmentally friendly tissue and canvas as bed bugs are known to be carried in the zips of sleeping bags and rucksacks and so were not allowed on board any boats. We were put in the front cabin with 2 swedish girls and I bagsied a bottom bunk as the top bunks were only 1 foot from the ceiling and only provided an impossible space to squeeze into!

Back on deck we settled into a relaxing life of sun-bathing, reading and chatting as we made our way to our first port of call. The group was about 23 people all about the same age, of mostly girls but some boys. I met some girls from Bedford I thought I recognised but can't think how. Before long we were fed afternoon tea and then we anchored up in Hook Bay before enjoying a nice supper on deck and breaking out the obligatory goon. We had a great night making friends and talking philosophy with some Germans before eventually falling asleep drunk and passing a hot, sticky night unconscious!

Whitsunday Islands