18-30 Club Crawl

Surfers Paradise Travel Blog

Megha at Surfers Paradise beach

Today we spent shopping in Surfers getting all our last min bits and pieces. Once you get on the trail you realise there's little things you need. Sure, they aren't essential, but that giant beach spread, little hairclips for pinning back hair, extra socks, mean you have everything you want at your fingertips. Start-up costs I call them.

We wandered back to the hostel along the beach. The weather hasn't been great, but it was actually pretty cool on the beach. In fact I think I prefer beaches in this weather - almost deserted beach, moody purple sky, cool breeze through your hair and pock-marked cool sand under your toes. I much prefer it to the busy yellow hot days, walking that far through people would have been impossible in the sunshine.

Moody

The hostel was holding it's bi-weekly club crawl that night, but we were so tired when we got back we relievedly admitted to each other that we would rather give it a miss and just settled for a drink at the bar. Should have known better than to go down before they left, and Megha had soon had her arm twisted and bought me a ticket with 5 minutes to change. I had reservations, but still wanted to make friends, so we joined the fun bus and the 50 other people from 5 other hostels and set off into town. If I tell you that first we had to adorn ourselves with a red or green sticker according to our 'availability' and were handed two condoms then that will set the tone for the evening.... (I refused to wear any sticker on principle, call me a kill joy if you like but I'm not that kind of girl)

We stopped first at the bowling alley where it was just a free-for-all.
Megha pretending to be Attenborough with the Ibis
When you weren't queueing to grab a bowling ball you were making friends with the person standing next to you. I was amused to meet a guy who works at Columbus Boys School in the town next to mine, that I drive past all the time, and chatted to a few other people from other hostels. We then moved on to a series of other clubs, each time being handed a free drink on arrival and pizza in the queue to sustain us. A war started out over the coloured glowsticks each hostel was identified by and I was offered many drinks and kisses for my rare pink one, all of which I declined. The collector of all 6 colours could get a free surf lesson at 8am next morning. Our room-mate Renae managed to get all 6 but since she didn't get in till 5am and needed to present her winnings at the office at 7am she obviously didn't make it. I doubt anyone else did either! I love to dance, so I had fun dancing, but the general point of the evening was somewhat wasted on me. I enjoyed myself to a point, but left around 4am to walk home. On the whole, it's a lesson learned. I did 18-30 when I was 18yrs old, I don't need to do it now. Next time I will hang out at the hostel with the other people for whom pulling and shagging isn't their foremost goal, rather than be herded like cattle and spat at by the locals (!)

Moody
Megha pretending to be Attenboroug…
Megha pretending to be Attenborou…
Getting down and funky at the club