Antalya Travel Blog

Eid breakfast

We arrived in time for Eid.  Truth to tell, I only figured this out a few days before we flew - sincere apologies to my Muslim friends, but I had kind of lost track.  And I was a bit worried about finding a cab.  But Eid is not Christmas, so there were taxis galore.  There was also a genuinely epic spread for breakfast, including about twenty varieties of Turkish Delight.  Turkish Delight in Turkey bears absolutely no relation to the pale blob of stickiness you get in the UK.  There were cakes and macaroons and a chocolate carving of Master Uugway from Kung Fu Panda, Traveltoddler's favourite film.  This was not going to be a holiday where I lost weight! Unfortunately, this established something of a precendent where the Traveltoddler now thought that cake was acceptable breakfast food and wouldn't agree to eat his melon up, despite it being a usual favourite.

Hot toddler travel tip - if you want to keep them off the sugar, don't let them see the breakfast buffet...

Later, we went for a walk in town and a quick trip to the Sefa Hammam.  We had to take it in turns, for the perfectly sensible reason that you cannot have a relaxing Turkish bath and massage with a toddler in tow (although later in the trip we gave it a good go...).  The Hammam has been in operation for 600 years.  It doesn't look like a lot from the outside, but inside it is quiet, cool, and obviously very ancient.  It's spotless clean.  Also, the masseur earned a small place in my heart for telling me it is not good to wait until holidays for a massage and my husband should make sure I got one weekly - I shall have to send him off somewhere for training!

Chocolate Master Uugway