Siem Reap: Getting dust in my eyes

Siem Reap Travel Blog

My tuk tuk from the airport to the hostal

I didn't know what to expect in Cambodia, although I'd heard that the people are notably happy (or smile a lot anyways) and the country is beautiful.  I'm pretty sure that traveling to Siem Reap, the biggest tourist draw in Cambodia for its temples of Angkor, isn't the most representative of life in Cambodia.  Nonetheless, the people are quite upbeat and the country plenty beautiful.  It's hard to believe that so many mines are still hidden in the countryside, and people continue to suffer casualties from them.

The tuk tuk ride from the airport was literally a blur of bikes, cars, bigger cars, and trucks rushing by in a cloud of dust.

Ride from airport
  Basically, everything is dusty.  Many people on bikes and tuk tuks wear face masks and it was one of the first things I purchased once I had reached the town.  Another thing about Cambodia is that it is mad cheap.  My hostal room with its own bathroom cost $5.  That is ridiculous.  1-hour massages cost $5.  And though I never tried it but wanted to, 4-hand massage (2 people at once) only cost $10...sounds illegal!  It is really quite amazing the varying purchasing power in different countries.

Having risen early in Bangkok, I went into the tourist area called Psaa Char, grabbed a delicious and aptly named Cambodian soup from the tourist- and Lonely Planet-friendly restaurant Dragon Soup.  I then headed home, intent to get a good night's rest before getting up at 5 am to catch sunrise at Angkor Wat, the largest temple in the temple region and the largest religious building in the whole world (according to Lonely Planet).  Of course, for one reason or another, I couldn't sleep at all!

My tuk tuk from the airport to the…
My tuk tuk from the airport to th…
Beautiful sunset