Craters and Sharks

Puerto Villamil Travel Blog

White-tip reef shark
From dust to sea.  The 14km return hike up to Sierra Negra was very dusty but had spectacular views of the caldera and other parts of the island.

I spent the afternoon snorkeling with about 15-20 chilling white-tip reef sharks in a little bay on the islands of Las Titoreras in about 2.5 feet of water.  Very cool.

At night, Paul and I went to one of the other bars in town where we basically had the whole place to ourselves.  The bartendress kept staring at the back of my head which was not surprisingly a bit unsettling.  As I gestured for another Brahma beer, shouting out "una mas" over the ubiquitous salsa music, she nodded and then proceeded to switch the music to America's Greatest Hits Volume 9 CD with such classics as Hotel California, Celine Dion's Titanic song, Whitney Houston's I Will Always Love You, Bryan Adams' Everything I Do, and Toni Braxton Breathe Again, all sung in Spanish.  I don't know what was worse...she thinking I was requesting to hear bad dubbings of American (ok, Canadian too) songs or not getting my second beer.

I decided to try again, this time with the beer bottle in hand, shouting "una mas".  I was then able to pass the time contentedly with bottle in hand and Mujer en Rojo (Lady in Red) blaring out of the stereo.

Hi!
Hi!
Chilling out in the water
Chilling out in the water
Getting intimate with the sharks
Getting intimate with the sharks
Iguana on the rocks
Iguana on the rocks
This is in about 3 feet of water.
This is in about 3 feet of water.
Cool fish as well.
Cool fish as well.
Me with sea lions in background on…
Me with sea lions in background o…
Boobies!
Buy Aqua Fina water!
Dusty trail to the top
Dusty trail to the top
Caldera
Caldera with some garua (fog)
Caldera with some garua (fog)
Dusty trail