Savannah, Georgia

Savannah Travel Blog

We headed out of Beaufort by way of Hwy 170 (Robert Smalls Parkway/Okatie Hwy) which took us over the Broad River.  We then took Hwy 278 westward until we hit I-95.

Why are areas around airports so difficult to navigate?  It took me at least an hour to find our hotel...which aggravated me because I wanted to have as much time possible to see Savannah.  Our accommodations in the Savannah area was the Days Inn Savannah Airport.  The surroundings were not picturesque but we really just needed a place to sleep and wash up.  At least they were situated in a "remote" area so it was quiet, offered free internet access, and breakfast.  Besides, anything within Savannah's Historic District costs an arm and a leg.

After dropping our gear and freshening up, we headed to Savannah's Historic District via I-95S and I-16E.  We cruised down Bay Street looking for parking but no luck.  So we drove a few blocks south of East Bay Street and parked within a quiet residential  area.  As we walked north towards Bay Street we passed a couple of Savannah's famed squares.  I can't remember which ones but they were quaint, little, green oases amongst all the concrete and brick of the residential areas.

Along the Savannah river, we walked along Factor's Walk, Riverfront Plaza and River Street.  The cobblestone streets were KILLER on my feet because I was wearing flip flops.  Note to time I visit Savannah wear proper walking footwear!!!  Anyways the walk was lovely as dusk was settling on the riverfront and the setting sun cast an orangey reflection off the river.  Storefronts and businesses were turning on their "mood" lighting.  Many people were out and about because the southern humidity was letting up...well only slightly.  The mosquitos were out in full force too but luckily I was doused in insect repellent!

Starving from our trek along the riverfront, we stopped for dinner at River House Seafood and Bakery (125 West River Street).  For the life of me I cannot remember what I ate for dinner but I do remember I had one of the best Caesar salads ever which was prepared fresh at tableside.  After dinner we walked back to the car along Bay Street.  On the walk back to the car, we passed a small fenced in square were a party of four were picnicing under the stars by candlelight.  I thought to myself "What a great way to spend a warm summer night...lucky bastards!".

Driving back to the hotel was another ordeal because I got lost trying to find the freeway on ramp!

kingelvis14 says:
I wonder if you have purchased a GPS since this trip? They really do help bunches on road trips.
Posted on: Jan 15, 2008
mellemel8 says:
geeez get with it guuurrl :P
Posted on: Oct 05, 2007