My Bad!

Bryson City Travel Blog

After hiking back to the car and resting in its air-conditioned confines, Mar and I headed onto our next outdoorsy adventure.  Since it was just after noon, I thought we had plenty of time and sunlight to make it to our next destination.  So we back tracked on US-74 to Asheville to meet up with I-40.  From the I-40 we took Exit 27 to catch US-23/US-74/US-19 toward Waynesville/Clyde/Atlanta/Maggie Valley/Franklin/Murphy, also known as the Great Smoky Mountains Expressway.  After driving about 50 miles along the expressway, we got to our destination...the Nantahala Outdoor adventure outfitter famous for leading half day and full day whitewater rafting trips.  Just the thought of water rafting gave me an adrenaline rush.  We got to the main office only to be rebuffed as there were no more scheduled runs down the river today.  Our dream of battling white water were dashed by the lack of forethought to make reservations.  My bad!  To ease our sadness we walked over the bridge that spans the Nantahala River and took refuge from the midday sun under trees along the riverbank.  I soaked my feet in the very cold and rocky Nantahala River while watching rafting groups paddle through nearby rapids. looked like loads of fun...that could have been my cousin and I.  In the words of The Terminator..."I'LL BE BACK!".

Nantahala Outdoor Center