Start of Unexpected Trip

Las Vegas Travel Blog

last-minute trip to my destination

A trip that I did would plan to the last minute, as my grandmother was visiting from Korea. And we had to decide where we wanted to go. My mom decided that Las Vegas would be the place. So we did all the necessary things for the trip, like airline tickets and hotels. My mom and grandmom would leave the day before than me.

I have only been to Las Vegas once before, in 2005. And that visit was only for 1 to 2 hours. But I never really had a burning desire to return to the city, even if it is one of the most-visited cities in the US (if not the world). So I did not expect much on this trip, as I would be with my family. And not get to see as much as I would, if traveling alone.

Leaving home, I drove to the nearest train station.

neon lights of 18th Arts District
By this time, it was the late afternoon. Then rode the train to the airport. I had already checked in online, so I went to the security line. After going through that, I waited at the gate, until it was boarding time.

I got on the plane, as I would fly with Spirit Airlines. A non-stop flight, it was the cheapest one that I could find. I had the window seat, all the way in the back of the plane. While better than the middle seat, it can be difficult to ask people to get up, if needing to use the bathroom. Especially if these people don't even get up once.

The plane took off, leaving Philly. Also, I decided not to pay for carryon, so I had to put my backpack underneath the seat in front of me. So not as much legroom, making it tight for 5 hours.

As the plane approached the Vegas area, I could see the bright lights in the Strip.
Stratosphere in the distance
I am surprised to see the Strip being located very close to the airport. The plane landed, and took some time to get to a gate. Then waited to get out of the plane, as I could smell the jet fuel. I was the last one to get off the plane. Seeing the slot machines in the gate area, a reminder that I am in Las Vegas.

As much as I wanted to see more of the airport, I had a bus to catch. I went to Level Zero, where I waited and caught the bus, taking me into town. The stops were being announced at first, then stopped. As a result, I missed my stop. And the signs were hard to see in the dark. Reaching the end of the line, I asked for directions from the bus driver, as I had no more $1 bills. And walked to the hostel, as I would see a tall building in the distance, the Stratosphere.

A bit of a walk, I came to the back side of the hostel, which was fenced off. Then walked around a block, to get to the Hostel Cat. Passed by a bunch of a wedding chapels, motels and more. I arrived at the hostel, and went inside, to check in. More about it in the review here.

After checking in, I went to the room, and got a top bunk bed. It felt hot in the room, even with the air-conditioner on. I unpacked a little and took a shower. Then went to sleep.

Besandri says:
Congrats on the feature Walter ..
Posted on: Jun 10, 2017
Paulovic says:
Congrats on being on the front page with your featured blog, Walter! Great job!
Posted on: Jun 04, 2017
EmEm says:
Congrats on being featured!
Posted on: Jun 04, 2017
wedding chapel
wedding chapel
where I stayed for the night
where I stayed for the night
Las Vegas Hostels review
Closest hostel to the Strip
Being the closest hostel to the Strip, the Cat Hostel is located in the downtown area. The easiest to reach by public transportation, including buses … read entire review
Las Vegas