Chiloe

Castro Travel Blog

The days following our journey on the Navimag were spent on the island of Chiloe, a charming pastoral island on the west coast of Chile. Our first stop was Ancud, a small bright city at the northern tip of the island where we relaxed by the harbour (when we weren´t running around frantically trying to secure tickets for mom and dad´s journey to Buenos Aires), went to a penguin colony, and simply enjoyed the beautiful scenery. Ancud, unfortunately, was also the place where my parents and I went our separate ways. After a celebration of Mom´s birthday, they made their way to Bariloche while I headed further south down Chiloe. I made a brief stop in the town of Quellon and headed back north to Castro. From Castro, I visited Chiloe National Park, a beautiful sand duned beach. Chiloe is a very scenic place with brightly coloured buildings, wooden churches, craggy coastlines, and fields full of sheep. It is a good place to relax for a few days. I am now back in the city of Puerto Montt. What a difference the weather makes in ones perception of a place! When I was here before, after disembarking from the Navimag, I found it dirty and unappealing but in the sunshine it is quite a pleasant city. From here I will head north up through the lake district and try and find somewhere to stop and learn more Spanish.

Castro