MAINhattan

Frankfurt am Main Travel Blog

first glimpse of the big city

Our last day here in the region and for some reason, the weather changed from good, to dark and cloudly. It seemed that even the weather told us that it was time to go home again and as soon as we packed all of our stuff together and had one last breakfast, we did just that.

Today we were going to have a morning visit to the big city of Frankfurt am Main. I must admit that this wasn’t exactly a highlight of the trip, but Angèle got my attention when she told me that some people also call this city the “Main”hattan of Germany. I must admit that I visited Manhattan myself in the past and although I love the city of New York, I didn’t had one clue why she made this comparison, until she told us that the skyline was equally beautiful.

Römerberg

It took us a few hours to drive towards the city and to be honest, once we arrived at the center of town, I was more than glad that I could finally stretch my legs.

Chris, our driver dropped us off smack in the middle of the city, at a place called “Römerberg”, which was basically the center of everything during Medieval times. I have to admit that this market square lookalike was very beautiful, filled with nice old buildings, but our German guide kept on talking and talking that at one point I thought she was related to our guide Angèle. She was even worse to be more precise and at one point I was even looking for escape routs out of here, but sadly enough we didn’t mention an hour when we were going to leave here, so I didn’t had a choice, I had to “undergo” everything.

a bit of a close-up

I guess we must have been standing there more than half an hour, when we finally moved from our place next to the fountain to the inside of the City Hall, where we arrived at the Imperial Hall which was filled with paintings of all the rulers of Frankfurt am Main or to be more precise, all the emperors from medieval times till now and let me tell you know … never ever go inside this place with a guide coz you’ll never know when you get out of there. Outside our guide was telling us on and on about the Medieval times that at one point it wasn’t even fun anymore but once inside the Imperial Hall, she kept going on and on about all the emperors and although some of them were maybe interesting, I didn’t think it was necessary to talk about all of them for almost 2 hours, for once we all shared the same thought … how can we go out of here and where can we run to!!!!

It was almost 12 AM when we got out of the place and although we said thank you in the most friendly way we knew, even our guide Angèle was glad to be out of there and that says everything!

Although, we were still meant to do other things like visiting the Jewish Cemetery and so on, because our German guide was going on and on about the last centuries filled with more than a dozen emperors, there wasn’t much time anymore.

City Hall
We even had to run so to speak to visit the Main Tower and because most of our group wasn’t able, we were just left with a handful of people who ended up on the deck of the tower, which was quite high and reminded me just why I was afraid of heights!

Once back on terra firma, I agreed with our guide that I went back on my own to the center of the city and as soon as I got the time we were supposed to leave again to Belgium, I wondered of to different streets making sure I would see the most of this city in so little time.

In less than an hour, I managed to get back to the “Römerberg”, had a quick visit to the Cathedral were a wedding was going on, had a bite to eat and even scored a delicious ice cream dessert … I was that good!

Back in the bus again on our way home, I must say that I wasn’t really impressed with Frankfurt am Main, but than again, I hadn’t seen much of it as well and as soon as we crossed a gigantic bridge towards the other side of the river Main, I finally got it when they say that it reminds people of Manhattan … My gosh, it was a really beautiful skyline and as we were driving home, I was thinking … this is not the last time I visited this city and I really want to visit this city once again.
entrance to the Imperial Hall
It seems that there is still so much to discover, Frankfurt am Main, I am certainly coming back if you like it or not!!!

A short stop along the way and about 5 hours later, we arrived back in Mol, the hometown of the bus company and as soon as I said goodbye to some people of the group, I drove back home where I arrived about an hour later. I was glad to be back home again, but on the other hand, it meant that my short break was over as well.

Maybe in a way this was a sad thing, but on the other hand it means that I can plan new holidays and visit other places and countries, so what is not to like.

Paulovic says:
For sure I will visit Frankfurt one day!
Posted on: Jul 22, 2017
Ils1976 says:
when you happen to be in the vicinity again, just drop by, you would love it!
Posted on: Jul 21, 2017
Paulovic says:
So nice! I've never been there (as far as I can remember). Always drove past it I think when I was still a kid with my parents on the way more South!
Posted on: Jul 19, 2017