Germany it is!

Limburg an der Lahn Travel Blog

Limburg an der Lahn

When my alarm clock went off at 6 AM in the morning, I was glad that for once it wasn’t for going to work but for something completely different … a break from daily life and away from all the usual hustle and bustle.

Mind you, I must admit that a few weeks before, when I asked my boss a few days off from work, I was so afraid it wasn’t possible because of the busy year and all, that she really surprised me and granted my wish. At first I was completely overwhelmed because somehow I didn’t expected her to give me even a few days, but once I was over the “shock”, I started planning things … what to do with just a few days?

Since going far away abroad was out of the question and city tripping was a bit too expensive this time of the year, with all the last minute ticket hunting and all, I resorted to going on a bus holiday.

on our way to the Cathedral
I could have gone for a road trip myself like I did last year, but when I read the program this particular bus company offered, with all meals included, I must admit that the price just did it for me. All I wanted was a few days off and go to a place where I just could go with the flow and didn’t have to think about organizing things and bookings and so on … I guess I was more than ready for this much needed break!

After I got something into my system and packed my little bag, I drove off to the bus company where I arrived about an hour later and got to meet a few of my fellow travellers which of course where almost all of age, but somehow I didn’t care about this little fact at all and as soon as we resorted to our designated seats, got to know our driver Chris and our guide Angèle, we were on our way towards Germany and to be more precise, the Spessart region!

During my trip last year to the Hesse region, I must admit that I loved it so much that when I read the program and learned it was possible to visit more of those typical Brother Grimm villages and towns, that it caught more than my attention and I wanted to go and explore this region a bit further, even if it meant I had to travel with more than 30 senior citizens!

When the bus was finally on the move, I claimed the back area of the bus all to myself and with a bit of fine music, it didn’t take me too long to doze off.
beautiful houses
Seems I was more tired than I thought I was coz I only woke up when our guide started talking about the current city we were passing, which was Aachen or maybe some people know it better as Aix-La-Chapelle, a city I have visited more than once and which I love so much, but I guess that maybe some of the older folks on this trip never had the chance to see the beautiful black cathedral and now from afar they finally could.

It must have been about one and a half hours later when we had our first short stop, so that people could stretch their legs, go to the toilet, have a drink or do whatever they wanted as long as they arrived back at the bus about half an hour later. I took the opportunity to meet up with a few people, who surprisingly enough live close to my hometown and one couple even have a daughter who is just a year younger than me and went to the same elementary school I did … so cool in a way!

After our little break, we drove further into the Hesse region and arrived about an hour later at Limburg an der Lahn, our only stop of the day before we were going to arrive at our homebase for the next 4 upcoming days, Weibersbrunn.
St. George's Cathedral

Limburg an der Lahn is one of the many small towns in the Hesse region which has that typical small medieval centre or Altstadt (old town) like the Germans like to call it, with loads of half-timbered houses. On the edge of the old town, there is a small hill which you can walk up to and leads you automatically towards St. George’s Cathedral, the main “attraction” of the otherwise small town if you like and although our guide Angèle could talk so passionate about the history of the church and all, my interest was soon gone and I drifted of to that other interesting building, the bishop’s residence which according to our guide was the focal point of a scandal not so long ago when former bishop (yes, he had to resign!) Franz-Peter Tebartz van Elst or also called “Bishop of Bling” renovated this particular building (or to be precise, two small buildings) to his own taste with money from not only parishioners, but from gifts he received from people for the poor in the world.
inside the Cathedral
Instead of using it for the people or organizations who needed it, he used it to enrich himself and it is said that the total cost of the residence go well over the 31 million euro … nice price tag if you ask me.

I don’t know where he put all the money into, but I guess the inside must look like one gigantic golden house, otherwise I can’t understand it at all, but thanks to our current pope who put a stop to it, unlike the former one who turned out to be a close friend, it seems that even till this day, you can’t really trust the Catholic Church or am I wrong at this point???

As soon as I had a quick peek at the yard of Limburg Castle, the rest of our group arrived as well and although we had given about an hour of free time to wander around, most of our group hooked up together at a small terrace and enjoyed a cup of coffee or even the well known German beer, which I am afraid to say is not that tasty, but that’s just me! After all, I am not really a beer fanatic.
craftsmanship from the moment you enter the place

When the group was once complete again, we walked in a slow pace back towards the bus for our final kilometers towards Weibersbrunn, where we arrived about a few hours later.

Our guide Angèle took it upon herself to get our roomkeys as quick as possible, so that people still had a bit of time to relax or freshen themselves up before dinner at 7 PM, but since this wasn’t really my goal, I just dropped of my bag into the room and went outside again to see a bit more of the village of Weibersbrunn, which turned out nothing more than one big street with a few hotels and houses where no-one seemed to live in.

The village itself is closely situated near the highway and it seems that people live in this tiny village because it is close to some major towns.
loving the murals
Tourists who happen to come here, are generally passing by on their way to their final destination in Germany and Austria and to be honest, I must admit that my first evening in the Spessart region was not exactly what I thought it would be … maybe tomorrow I will feel different about it, but today I was a bit disappointed.

Luckily dinner made things a bit better, maybe food and drinks will do that to a person and with a full stomach and not ready to go to sleep yet at 10 PM, I walked around Weibersbrunn or should I say the big street, once again, only to reside to my room about an hour later and enjoyed a nice hot shower before I tried out the bed.

Ils1976 says:
still so many more to discover, but I am trying! :)
Posted on: Jul 28, 2017
Ils1976 says:
there is still loads to discover Victor! Luckily I have more than enough to do that over the coming years! :D
Posted on: Jul 27, 2017
vicIII says:
Ils, you have seen lots of amazing places... Good for you!:)
Posted on: Jul 27, 2017
St. Georges Cathedral
St. George's Cathedral
inside the Cathedral
craftsmanship from the moment you …
craftsmanship from the moment you…
small graveyard near the Cathedral
small graveyard near the Cathedral
cant help but love this bench
can't help but love this bench
Bishops residence
Bishop's residence
another view on the residence, whe…
another view on the residence, wh…
yard of Limburg Castle