Yosemite - should we say Jose Mighty?

Yosemite National Park Travel Blog

Legendary Colombia Restaurant at the Airport

Tick tock tick tock. Of late been feeling like the clock has been ticking too fast. The girls will be heading to College in a couple of years and wanted to make sure we got in as many vacations as possible before we became empty nesters.

One of the choices under consideration was a 'cabin vacation' as I am wont to call it. Say, renting a quaint bear themed log cabin up in the mountains of North Carolina, but we have done one too many of those in the past few years.

We've mini hiked the Appalachian trails, spent quite a few lovely weekends at Gatlinburg, loved Asheville (aptly called God's own country) that we decided to head west to Yosemite and say hello to the Grand Sequoias. Besides, it is in the recent past that the girls and their Dad had gone white water rafting and zip lining in NC while I was away on a business trip to India.

Spanish Malaguena for breakfast

Two days leading up to Spring break we scrambled to get air tickets and hotel bookings. After booking the tix we realized due to mud slides, weather conditions and park maintenance activity our choices of lodging became limited. Roads leading to Tenaya lodge were closed, so were several roads leading into Yosemite Valley.  The biggest and saddest finding was 'Mariposa groves' which boasts the legendary giant sequoia, a tree with it’s base split which allowed for “tree trunk drive thru” was closed until fall of 2017!  Word of caution check to self, duh, check first before buying airline tix. Oh, well! we decided we'd do both Yosemite and Grand Sequoia national park south of Yosemite to make up for Mariposa. Little did I know Yosemite is huge and will take minimum 2 days to do 1/10th the park and especially if you want to work in a 6 to 8 hour hike to Upper Valley falls!

We headed to the airport at 4 AM to catch our early morning flight. Had a nice breakfast at the airport Columbia restaurant (Ybor city houses the legendary parent property). Had very lovely Spanish omelet - fluffy eggs stuffed with potato and a Spanish Malaguena - 2 sunny side up eggs on a delicious bed of salsa and chorizo pieces.

amudha_colaco says:
Thank you all for your kind words.
@anupa - my trip was short so I did only one big hike, so maybe a bit tame for your adventurous soul, check out Simsing's blog - looks like she did multiple cool hikes.
Posted on: Aug 10, 2017
anupa_rk says:
How fortuitous that I've been inactive here for so so long and I came back because I wanted to read about Yosemite and plan a trip this year, and look whose latest blog is about Yosemite!!
Can't wait to read.
Posted on: Jul 30, 2017
Besandri says:
Congrats on the featured blog ...
Looks like you had a great family trip
Posted on: Jul 16, 2017
Legendary Colombia Restaurant at t…
Legendary Colombia Restaurant at …
Spanish Omelet