Food & Drink

New York Travel Blog

In retrospect, eating in New York was a somewhat hazardous experience. Hazardous because on every street corner you´re confronted with fast food, either of the commercial sort (McDonalds etc, which I tried to avoid) or the local diner sort, where chilli fries proved to be a tasty late night snack. I had my fair share of toasted sandwiches (they call the buns, like Subway buns, ¨heroes¨). On my first night I found a felafel place that reminded me a lot of Fatima´s on Cleveland St. Yasmin will be happy to know that I found the City Bakery, which she said had hot chocolate to die for, and I have to agree. Rich and creamy, but not too rich and creamy.

Trying to be healthy, I bought oranges and yoghurt drinks, bread rolls and hummus. Healthy food like this doesn´t come too cheap though. I only had one slice of pizza the whole time there (spinach and ricotta - also healthy). On my last night there I went to an Indian restaurant in East Village with my hostel mates, which was a tasty and relatively cheap meal. (We were won over by the cheapness of the beer, at US$6 for a big 660mL bottle, it beat the average pub price of $6 a schooner).

Speaking of beer, although we did have a few drinks in various pubs, either in East Village or Greenwich, it got expensive quite quickly, so buying $3.50 Corona long necks and drinking them up on the roof of the hostel, even when it was bloody cold, was more fun. I´m told that these prices are strictly New Yorkian, being such a popular tourist destination.