Ancient Place

Drohobych Travel Blog

 › entry 7 of 11 › view all entries
Downtown Drohobych

Drohobych is one of the oldest cities in Ukraine. The city has a rich history. In 1991, it celebrated its 900thanniversary. As the story goes, the town was founded by the surviving residents of the town of Bych that had been burnt by the Cumans at the end of the 11th century. They named it "Another Bych", or Drohobych. From the 14th century, the city was one of the largest centers of salt.

We, Matt, Urszula, Sonja and I, had a great VT Meet in Truskavets, Lviv region, in May 2015. During our stay there, we paid a visit to this place thanks to Matt and Urszula who had arrived to Truskavets by car. To enrich our new experiences, Matt and Urszula arranged a trip to Drobobych by their car. Thanks a lot, friends!

Churches and temples were the major attractions that we saw in Drohobych. Almost all the temples are open only during the service.

Downtown Drohobych
At other times they are closed to the general public, so you can only take pictures of their external facades.

I totally disagree that, except for the churches and cathedrals, there is nothing more to see in Drohobych. Alas, there is not enough information about its sights, so you have to be active, walk for hours and discover them for yourself, like we did. We managed to see the main city sights :

  1. St.George’s Cathedral (“sobOr sviatOho YurAh” in Ukrainian) that dates back to end of the 15th century - the beginning of the 16th century. It was brought to Drohobych in 1656 from the village of Nadiyeve. The cathedral acquired its final appearance in 1678, when the bell tower was completed. The UNESCO included this church into the World Heritage list as a part of the project "Wooden Churches of the Carpathian region in Poland and Ukraine."  ccordingly, there was, albeit small, funding that allowed to restore the roof.
    Downtown Drohobych
    In future it is planned to restore the murals. They date back to the 16th century.
  2. Church of Exaltation of the Cross was the second sight we saw. This church acquired its final form in 1661. It is considered one of the best buildings in the style of Galician architecture. We approached the church and looked at its details.
  3. Stepan Bandera Square with the monument to Yuriy Drohobych (the pseudonym of Yury Kotermak, 1450-1494), who was from Rector of the University of Bologna from 1481 till 1482. In 1488 he became the Professor of Krakow University.
  4. St. Bartholomew Cathedral that was founded by King Wladyslaw Jagiello in 1392. The cathedral was built on the site of former castle and a part of it was used for the construction of the temple. In 1511 the cathedral was consecrated as the Church of the Blessed Virgin Mary, St. Bartholomew and the Holy Cross.
  5. The City Hall tower that was built in 1927, when the Drohobych belonged to Poland.
    Downtown Drohobych
  6. Market Square with Holy Trinity Cathedral built in 1690-1709 as the Roman Catholic Church. In 1808 it was bought by the Ukrainian community for the Greek Catholic churches and parish school. Now it is the main temple of Sambir-Drohobych Diocese of the Ukrainian Greek Catholic Church.
  7. the Monastery of the Holy Apostles St.Peter and St.Paul, that was built in 1828 on the site of a monastery that had not survived a huge fire - the old wooden Basilian Brothers Monastery that had been built on that site back in 1775.
  8. The Choral Synagogue of the 19th century lies within a five-minute walk from the monastery. At that time it was the largest synagogue in Eastern Galicia. The neglected building was transferred to the Jewish community. There are plans to restore it. We saw the building was surrounded by a high fence – perhaps restoration work will start soon.

As for the origin of the name there is no consensus.

Downtown Drohobych
The most common version explains that there was the town of Bych near the salt springs at the foothills of the Carpathians. The town flourished from salt trade.

After the attack of the nomadic Cumans in the late 11th century, the town was razed to the ground. After some time, the residents who had managed to escape from their enemies, returned to their place and rebuilt the town, but in a slightly different place. The new city was named Another Bych (“drohoi” – “another”). Eventually the name turned into Drohobych. The city name is written in different languages like this: English — Drohobych; Polish — Drohobycz; German — Drohobytsch.

The wooden church of St. George is one of the most striking works of Galician folk architecture. The church was included into the UNESCO World Heritage list in the category "Wooden Churches of the Carpathian region of Ukraine". The church dates back to the late 15th - early 16th century.

The city council building
St.George’s Church was brought in to Drohobych from a Subcarpathian village named Nadiyeve in 1656 and installed at the site of its burnt predecessor. In 1678, a bell tower was built. The church interior is painted with magnificent frescoes of Stephen Meditsky. The ancient carved iconostasis has been preserved. The church was repaired several times, but did not lose its original appearance.

We discovered something very special on the second floor where the choir stands - "another church" - another part of the altar. It was an amazing experience! We were allowed to climb the wooden steps for a nominal fee. From above we could have a closer look at some of the murals: in particular, the hell fire was in full view.

Now, this church is a branch of the Local Lore Museum called Drohobych Land. Another part of the exhibition is located in the neighboring wooden Church of the Exaltation of the Holy Cross that dates back to 1613.

Downtown Drohobych

St.George’s Church is a very informative museum church. I have not seen so many murals anywhere else. You will enjoy your visit even more, if you join a guided tour and listen to the history of the Do not bother about the entrance fee, the guided tour fee, the photo fee – simply enjoy your visit to this unique place, that is a must in Drohobych.

The church is open for visitors from 9 a.m. until 6 p.m., from Friday till Sunday: from 9 a.m. till 5 p.m. The entrance fee is UAH 30, a guided tour is UAH 50 and the photo fee is for your donation, you can choose to donate UAH 50 or UAH 100 – the interior is worth it. Directions: 25 Salty Pond; Tel. +38 03244 2 26 39; Website:  http://haidamac.

org.ua/2010/01/drohobych2_2/

Church of Exaltation of the Holy Cross was the second sight we saw. This church acquired its final form in 1661. It is considered one of the best buildings in the style of Galician architecture. We approached the church and looked at its details.

St. Bartholomew Cathedral was founded in Drohobych in 1392 by the Polish King Wladislav II Jagiello. It was only consecrated in 1511. It is also known as Ascension Cathedral. The massive Gothic building was erected on the basis of a prince’s castle dating back to the time of the Galicia-Volyn Principality. Ancient foundations and wall fragments were used during the construction. A powerful fortification tower, that used to be a part of the former city fortifications on Castle Hill, became the cathedral’s bell tower. For centuries, the building was reconstructed several times. In Soviet times, it was used as a warehouse.

Downtown Drohobych
In 1989, the church was returned to the Roman Catholic community of the city. Many things were preserved in the interior : gothic white stone portals, murals and stained glass windows of the 19th century, made after the drawings of famous artists J. Matejko, S.Wyspianski and J. Megoffer. The walls are reinforced with buttresses. You can see unusual white stone reliefs - three windows, on which therev are images of a palm, a foot and a head with the papal tiara. Some sources call these stone reliefs the symbols of the Catholic domination, others believe they are pagan symbols. The marble door with two swords remind us of the inhabitants of the city who fell in the Battle of Grunwald. Directions: 12 Daniel of Galicia Street, Castle Mountain Square.

The Tower of Drohobych located in Castle Mountain Square is the oldest surviving building in the city. It dates back to the early medieval period. Powerful stone and wooden fortifications were built in the 13th century, during the time of the Galicia-Volyn Principality.

The city council building
In the 16th century, St.Bartholomew Cathedral was built on the grounds of the castle. The tower was used as its bell tower. In the 19th century, all other fortifications were dismantled, moats were filled, and the third floor with arched windows was built over the bell tower. You can see the monument to the medieval scholar Yutiy Drohobych, who was the Rector of the University of Bologna and the teacher of Copernicus.

The high clock tower of Drohobych City Hall rose above the city in 1927, when the city returned to the Polish state. Drohobych received Magdeburg rights in 1460, and at the same time the first wooden town hall was built. By 1829 this building became very outdated and useless, so the new City Hall in the Austrian style was built - this time in stone. The need for a new building emerged after the First World War. I. Semkovich, M.Nikodimovich were the architects of the project. The three-story building surrounds a small courtyard as a square.

The city council building
The marble meeting hall is the main building of the city hall. You can arrange your climbing the City Hall tower to see the clock mechanism and to enjoy the city\'s best panoramic view. Directions: 1 Market Square; tel. +38 03244 2 25 69,+38 03244 3 71 77 , +38 03244 2 25 69 ; Website: http://drohobych-rada.gov.ua/

Visit the Monastery of the Holy Apostles St.

The city council building
Peter and St.Paul, that was built in 1828 on the site of a monastery that had not survived a huge fire - the old wooden Basilian Brothers Monastery that had been built on that site back in 1775. This monastery is still called Basilian Monastery. Basilian Monastery is located at 1 Stryi Street. It is another beautiful sight of Drohobych. Its architectural style is very special and attractive. Directions: 1 Stryi Street; Tel. +38 03244 3 90 58 ; +38 03244 2 24 71.
The city council building

The Choral Synagogue of the 19th century lies within a five-minute walk from the monastery. At that time it was the largest synagogue in Eastern Galicia. The neglected building was transferred to the Jewish community. There are plans to restore it. We saw the building was surrounded by a high fence - perhaps restoration work will start soon.

Join TravBuddy to leave comments, meet new friends and share travel tips!
Downtown Drohobych
Downtown Drohobych
Downtown Drohobych
Downtown Drohobych
Downtown Drohobych
Downtown Drohobych
Downtown Drohobych
Downtown Drohobych
Downtown Drohobych
Downtown Drohobych
The city council building
The city council building
Downtown Drohobych
Downtown Drohobych
Downtown Drohobych
Downtown Drohobych
Downtown Drohobych
Downtown Drohobych
The city council building
The city council building
The city council building
The city council building
The city council building
The city council building
The city council building
The city council building
The city council building
The city council building
Downtown Drohobych
Downtown Drohobych
Downtown Drohobych
Downtown Drohobych
A war memorial
A war memorial
A war memorial
A war memorial
A war memorial
A war memorial
A war memorial
A war memorial
A war memorial
A war memorial
The war memorial
The war memorial
Downtown Drohobych
Downtown Drohobych
Downtown Drohobych
Downtown Drohobych
Downtown Drohobych
Downtown Drohobych
Downtown Drohobych
Downtown Drohobych
Monastery of the Holy Apostles St.…
Monastery of the Holy Apostles St…
Monastery of the Holy Apostles St.…
Monastery of the Holy Apostles St…
Downtown Drohobych
Downtown Drohobych
Markian Shashkevich memorial plaque
Markian Shashkevich memorial plaque
Downtown Drohobych
Downtown Drohobych
Visiting the old wooden churches
Visiting the old wooden churches
Visiting the old wooden churches
Visiting the old wooden churches
Visiting the old wooden churches
Visiting the old wooden churches
Drohobych Land Museum
Drohobych Land Museum
Visiting the old wooden churches
Visiting the old wooden churches
Visiting the old wooden churches
Visiting the old wooden churches
Visiting the old wooden church
Visiting the old wooden church
Visiting the old wooden churches
Visiting the old wooden churches
Visiting the old wooden churches
Visiting the old wooden churches
Visiting the old wooden churches
Visiting the old wooden churches
Visiting the old wooden churches
Visiting the old wooden churches
Visiting the old wooden churches
Visiting the old wooden churches
Visiting the old wooden churches
Visiting the old wooden churches
Visiting the old wooden churches
Visiting the old wooden churches
St.George the Dragon Slayers icon
St.George the Dragon Slayer's icon
A view from the choir
A view from the choir
Visiting the old wooden church: th…
Visiting the old wooden church: t…
Visiting the old wooden church: 40…
Visiting the old wooden church: 4…
Visiting the old wooden church: 40…
Visiting the old wooden church: 4…
Visiting the old wooden church: 40…
Visiting the old wooden church: 4…
Visiting the old wooden church
Visiting the old wooden church
Visiting the old wooden church: 40…
Visiting the old wooden church: 4…
Visiting the old wooden church
Visiting the old wooden church
Visiting the old wooden church
Visiting the old wooden church
Visiting the old wooden church
Visiting the old wooden church
Visiting the old wooden church
Visiting the old wooden church
Visiting the old wooden church
Visiting the old wooden church
Visiting the old wooden church
Visiting the old wooden church
Visiting the old wooden church
Visiting the old wooden church
Visiting the old wooden church
Visiting the old wooden church
Visiting the old wooden church
Visiting the old wooden church
Visiting the old wooden church
Visiting the old wooden church
Visiting the old wooden church
Visiting the old wooden church
Visiting the old wooden church
Visiting the old wooden church
Visiting the old wooden church
Visiting the old wooden church
Visiting the old wooden church
Visiting the old wooden church
Downtown Drohobych
Downtown Drohobych
Downtown Drohobych: Bruno Schulz m…
Downtown Drohobych: Bruno Schulz …
Downtown Drohobych
Downtown Drohobych
Admiring amazing churches
Admiring amazing churches
Admiring amazing churches
Admiring amazing churches
Heavenly Hundred Heroes Park
Heavenly Hundred Heroes Park
Admiring amazing churches
Admiring amazing churches
The old synagogue
The old synagogue
The old synagogue
The old synagogue
A stroll about downtown Drohobych
A stroll about downtown Drohobych
A stroll about downtown Drohobych
A stroll about downtown Drohobych
The old synagogue is being rehabil…
The old synagogue is being rehabi…
The old synagogue is being rehabil…
The old synagogue is being rehabi…
The bus terminal notice
The bus terminal notice
The old synagogue is being rehabil…
The old synagogue is being rehabi…
Admiring amazing churches
Admiring amazing churches
Be careful
Be careful
Be careful
Be careful
Main Square
Main Square
Downtown Drohobych
Downtown Drohobych
Downtown Drohobych
Downtown Drohobych
Drohobych Defense Tower
Drohobych Defense Tower
Watching a wedding ceremony
Watching a wedding ceremony
Watching a wedding ceremony
Watching a wedding ceremony
Yuriy Drohobych memorial plaque
Yuriy Drohobych memorial plaque
Yuriy Drohobych memorial plaque
Yuriy Drohobych memorial plaque
Yuriy Drohobych monument
Yuriy Drohobych monument
Drohobych Defense Tower
Drohobych Defense Tower
Drohobych Defense Tower memorial p…
Drohobych Defense Tower memorial …
Revolution memorial plaque
Revolution memorial plaque
Yuriy Drohobych monument
Yuriy Drohobych monument
Yuriy Drohobych monument
Yuriy Drohobych monument
St. Bartholomew Cathedral
St. Bartholomew Cathedral
St. Bartholomew Cathedral
St. Bartholomew Cathedral
St. Bartholomew Cathedral
St. Bartholomew Cathedral
St. Bartholomew Cathedral
St. Bartholomew Cathedral
St. Bartholomew Cathedral
St. Bartholomew Cathedral
St. Bartholomew Cathedral
St. Bartholomew Cathedral
St. Bartholomew Cathedral
St. Bartholomew Cathedral
St. Bartholomew Cathedral
St. Bartholomew Cathedral
St. Bartholomew Cathedral
St. Bartholomew Cathedral
Exploring Drohobych
Exploring Drohobych
Exploring Drohobych: the main squa…
Exploring Drohobych: the main squ…
Exploring Drohobych
Exploring Drohobych
Exploring Drohobych
Exploring Drohobych
Exploring Drohobych
Exploring Drohobych
Be careful when walking here
Be careful when walking here
Exploring Drohobych
Exploring Drohobych
Beydovsky memorial plaque (a Heave…
Beydovsky memorial plaque (a Heav…
Exploring Drohobych
Exploring Drohobych
Exploring Drohobych
Exploring Drohobych
Exploring Drohobych
Exploring Drohobych
Exploring Drohobych
Exploring Drohobych
Exploring Drohobych
Exploring Drohobych
Exploring Drohobych
Exploring Drohobych
Exploring Drohobych
Exploring Drohobych
Exploring Drohobych
Exploring Drohobych
Exploring Drohobych
Exploring Drohobych
Exploring Drohobych
Exploring Drohobych
Exploring Drohobych
Exploring Drohobych
Exploring Drohobych
Exploring Drohobych
At a coffeehouse in Drohobych
At a coffeehouse in Drohobych
Bus tours in Drohobych
Bus tours in Drohobych
Bus time table
Bus time table
Drohobych
photo by: vicIII