oktoberfest!

Munich Travel Blog

that's me holding 4 steins. that isn't a smile, that's a grimace - they're heavy!!

Didn't actually see too much of Munich, I'm afraid.  I met some people on the train back from Fussen, so went to Oktoberfest with them on my first night in town.  Had an absolute blast.. perhaps a little too much fun.  Unfortunately, i spent the entire next day (my only full day in Munich) recovering from the night before!

So, I basically had half a day to look around before my train left for Switzerland.  I managed to squeeze in a fair bit and it seems like a really lovely city.  I believe it's got one of the biggest parks in the world, which even has it's own nudist area!  More amusing though, is the 'surfers wave' in the river that apparently people 'surf' on, as there obviously aren't any real waves nearby!

As for my one night at oktoberfest... I learnt that they only serve beer by the litre, it's rather potent (8%) and it's not a good idea to drink more after oktoberfest has finished!  The beer halls are a lot of fun though - everyone sings and dances on the table, and the waitresses that bring your beer are absolutely amazing.  I managed to carry about 4 steins at once (for a second), but they carry around 10 at a time!  They are so heavy, I don't know how they do it.  They earn heaps during oktoberfest though - they won't come to serve you more beer unless you tip them generously.  Clever going girls.. cheers to you!

thats me holding 4 steins.  that …
that's me holding 4 steins. that…
one of the many oktoberfest tents