eastern europe

Prague Travel Blog

I had high expectations for Prague.  Don't get me wrong, it's a beautiful city and i had a great time, but it is so, so crowded and touristy.. it almost spoilt it a little bit.  To make matters worse, I broke out in some serious hives at one point.  I thought it was bedbugs or, of course, an allergy, but they went as fast as they came.. and i put it down to being allergic to the rain!  Despite this, I really did have a good time.

Went on a day trip to Kutna Hora, famous for its 'bone church.'  It is decorated with the bones of 40,000 people.  It was done during the time of the plague and a war, so someone thought it'd be a great way to store the huge amounts of bones that were amassing!  Weird/clever?!?

The prague castle is one of the biggest (if not the biggest) in Europe and has a very impressive cathedral with outstanding views of the city below.

There is a famous astronomical clock in the old town that was built hundreds of years ago.  The king at the time had the clock maker blinded as he didn't want him to make anything that beautiful anywhere else!  Charming.

Had a couple of nights out on the town - one at the strangest club i've ever been to and one at the supposed biggest in central europe.  The strangest club was decorated with mechanical parts.  I can't even begin to describe it to you, but everything.. including the lights, bar, tables, everything... was decorated with some kind of mechanical part, be it moving or stationary.  My favourite was the moving windscreen wipers that served as a light to one of the rooms.  Awesome!!

photo by: vulindlela