Berlin

Berlin Travel Blog

brandenburg gate

One of my favourite cities so far... for it's great nightlife and history.  I've never seen so much construction in the one city though - they're still restoring and rebuilding after the war and communism.  Berlin is still establishing its identity, yet it's steeped in history.

I went on a walking tour (a must in Berlin), as you'd walk past so many important sites without knowing!  You can see the remnants of the Berlin wall, Hitler's bunker, the book burning square (where the Nazis burnt thousands of 'banned' books during the war), checkpoint charlie etc. etc.  It's fascinating, yet utterly heartbreaking.  To think that the Berlin wall only came down less than 20 years ago!

Talk about contrasts in Berlin - one night I went on a fantastic pub crawl and met heaps of cool people.  The next day I was at Sachsenhausen concentration camp - a 'model' Nazi camp during the war.

Also went to see the opera in Berlin - a real highlight.  We had no idea what was going on, but we 'googled' it afterwards to find out what had happened.  I can assure you, it made sense only then!  My german is not the best.

Spent a week in Berlin, but it could easily have been more!

museum island