The city of loooove

Paris Travel Blog

sacre coueur

first and foremost - I got another stamp on my passport.. yay!!  arrived in my first foreign language speaking country in europe, but luckily, had sussed out how to say "can you speak english?"  this was very helpful, as most people could!  met a frenchman in the supermarket on my first day - after he asked me something in french, and i panicked and said "english?!!" in response!  he was a chef at a local restaurant and invited me to come for dinner.. who says the french are rude?!?  had an early night insted though, as i'd only had 2hours sleep the night before... that was harry's fault.  ie. harry potter.

went to the eiffel tower on my first day and climbed up a lot of steps to reach the second level.  i could have caught a lift all the way to the top, but i can assure you, the second level was high enough for me!  eek!  went to the notre dame also... and happened to attend whilst mass was on (i know mum, again!!)  visited the place de la bastile, the pantheon and the cemetary with lots of famous dead people - proust, chopin, morrison and oscar wilde to name a few.  the memorial to oscar wilde was particularly interesting as it was covered in lipstick marks!  hmm, some people really are big fans!  went to the frenchman's restaurant that night and got fed french crepes and wine (without paying a cent!)  aah, i'm loving paris!!!

the un-summery weather kicked in, so i decided to hit the louvre.  saw all the famous paintings and sculptures, but was happy to meet up with an aussie friend for lunch to escape the crowds!  met a couple of people at my hostel that night and we decided to hit the town.  found a very funky french bar (although those anti-smoking laws would've been handy!) where we got our faces painted by very good looking french people :)  we cleaned ourselves up and hit a club near the moulin rouge aswell!

went on a free walking tour to squeeze in all the main sites of paris.  met up later with some people from the tour for a wander around the latin quarter and to see the eiffel tower at night - wow!!  such an amazing, beautiful sight!  the tower sparkles on the hour, every hour from 10pm-2am for 10 mins.. it's like looking at a camp fire - you can't take your eyes off it!

spent my final day in versailles (ver-sigh) where marie antionette lived, amongst other royals.  the gardens are spectacular, and we even (sp)lashed out and hired a rowing boat to meander down the canal... aah, bliss.  did i mention that our lunch consisted of a french stick and amazing, yummy, scrumptious brie!  mmmmm!!!!!  we were just missing the french red...  i went on a night bike tour also. which included a cycle past the louvre (a must see at night.. beautiful!) and a cruise down the seine.  this time, i got to drink as much french red as i liked.  the ride back after that was fun!!!!

left paris the next day, with great memories of my first stop on the continent.  such a romantic city, with so much to do.  walking around the montmarte area (where amelie was filmed) was quintessentially french  and i couldn't help but get stuck into the yummy french food!  first place to return to.....

nicohart says: