Day -1 (history of trip)

Buenos Aires Travel Blog

The purpose of this trip was a travbuddy meetup on an Antarctica cruise! The plan was to meet a couple days early in Buenos Aires so we could all meet each other. For those unfamiliar with the history of this travbuddy meetup, this journey started several years ago. A beloved travbuddy member, Travman, had a dream destination listing Antarctica as a travbuddy meetup. Unfortunately, he passed away in 2013. As he had friends all over the world, a forum topic was soon started about fulfilling his dream destination for him. Tons of ideas were tossed around, along with dates and “will attends”. But when it came down to it, no one took a clear leadership role to plan the trip and most of the people on the forum couldn’t make the commitment for various reasons. It started with over 100 people interested and the “planning” went on a couple of years, it seemed. The original forum people left the site and new ones came in. The group dropped down to about 50 maybe/confirmed. We tried to book a cruise for Feb 2016, but we had too many people and it was sold out. We would still be sitting in forum purgatory if JR didn’t take the lead and do a bunch of research for us. He brought a plan to the table in 2015: company, dates, cost. You have 1 week to decide, take it or leave it. I’m in! I paid the deposit not knowing who was even going. All I knew was that I have wanted to go to Antarctica for a long time, and have been saving for 10 years in a special Antarctica fund. I was ready! February 2017 seemed like a long ways off, but it would be here before we knew it!

portia says:
great that Travbuddies made it to Antarctica, Mark would have been smiling! Does it look like there is enough ice for the penguins where you went?
Posted on: Apr 16, 2018
KeikoCreative says:
Congrats on your featured blog ;)
Posted on: Apr 11, 2018