Skipping Across Georgia

Waycross Travel Blog

12 January 2007

After breakfast (I had a delicious fruit cup with grapes and grapefruit in it, and scrambled eggs), we checked out of the Hampton Inn, and drove back over the bridge to the mainland. I took this picture of boats anchored in the bend of the river from the bridge. We went north to Georgia and stopped at the Georgia information station on I-95. Then we turned east to Jekyll Island.

To go onto the island there is a $3.00 "parking fee", so we stopped at the entrance booth to pay and then started to circumnavigate the island.

We had not been to Jekyll except by boat, and that not since 2002. One of the times that we stopped, we borrowed a car from the marina, to go to the grocery store, but we had not seen any other parts of the island.

We drove along the ocean side, passing old people on bicycles and the golf ball water tower

My goal was to take photos of the inlet and St. Simon's lighthouse from the south side.

After I had done that, we drove around the other side of the island past the Horton House Historic Site with historic markers and signs, and the airport with the little electric cars.

Then we went to the museum about the "Clubhouse" which is now a hotel. They had a very interesting movie about it, which we saw. Since I could not take photos inside the buildings, I compromised by taking pictures of the video presentation.

We did not take the little train trip, nor did we ride the horsedrawn carriage.

We did drive around to the clubhouse and some of the historic houses and I took pictures of some of the buildings out of the car window.

Then we passed the marina in front of the clubhouse (which has always looked deserted up to now, but which seems to have been rejuvinated), and went to Sea Jay's cafe for lunch. I had Brunswick Stew as usual, and Bob had steamed And then we went out through the exit gates, and back to the highway to head for St. Simon's Island and the lighthouse on the other side of the inlet

After we crossed bridge to St. Simon's Island, our first visit was to the lighthouse. Because it looked like rain, we took the pictures outside first. Bob concentrated on the signs, and I took some photos of the inlet. After we finished taking pictures outside, we went into the museum. Downstairs were various exhibits and the museum shop. Upstairs, they had rooms set up to depict life for the lighthouse keepers. After we left the museum, we went to see the Maritime Museum (although we didn't go in) and then went out to Fort Frederica, and went in to the museum.

Bob took his camera and carefully took pictures of all the foundations as he walked all the way out to the fort

I stayed around the visitor's center and took some photos of the cemetery area After we finished with the fort, we crossed the bridge back to the mainland and drove to the Hampton Inn in Waycross where we had stayed before. Tomorrow, we have a half day at the Okefenokee Swamp

After we checked in to the Hampton Inn, we drove around until we found a restaurant and ate dinner. The next morning, we attempted to find the Okefenokee Swamp. We found that the entrance closest to Waycross was not a national park and they didn't have enough water to have boat tours, so we drove down to Folkstone to the east entrance.

After we looked at the museum, we took the Swamp Island Drive. Then we had lunch and took the 90 minute boat tour.This turned out to be a terrific tour and we saw a lot of animals

We left and drove to Charleston to visit with our son's family in Summerville for a few days.Then we drove on to North Carolina and after a stopover to visit my mom's grave in Henderson, we drove on home. We stopped in Port Royal, VA at Hornes for lunch. After we got the water turned on in the house, and the cars started, we turned in the rental car in the next day.

Waycross Hotels & Accommodations review
We drove from Brunswick to Waycross on route 82 and checked into the Hampton Inn by about 3:30. The big attraction in Waycross (other than a VERY conf… read entire review
14,521 km (9,023 miles) traveled