2004 Migrating by Mercedes

Leonardtown Travel Blog

Thanksgiving - mother and oldest daughter

When we ran aground in the middle of the channel just south of the Wrightsville Beach bridge in March 2004, Bob said that doing the ICW was too stressful and we weren't going to do it anymore. So I decided to go south for the winter, but this time, we would go by car and use the Armed Forces S/A condos as places to stay.

After we got back from Thanksgiving dinner at our oldest daughter's (which was very good and a lot of fun), we started to pack and get ready. We had taken my car up to her house in Ellicott City, and when we got back we filled the fuel tank (178 miles total for the round trip and took us 2 hours on the way up and an hour and a half on the way back) and, Bob serviced it for the winter.

Kilmarnock Museum (closed)

Bob periodically complained that we only had a car and we needed a moving van, but I tried really hard to wean down to just a couple of suitcases. I have actually three (carryon sized) small bags, plus a bag of travel materials, and two computers. Bob has his night blooming jasmine in a large pot, a cooler of stuff from the refrigerator, plus supplies like toilet paper for the condos, a hanging bag for his suits, and two or three small bags. Plus we had the Xmas presents for two families.

Friday morning, Bob serviced the furnace (found a dead mouse), ran the dishwasher and clothes washer and dryer one last time, turned off the water and put antifreeze in the toilets, turned the furnace down, unplugged the TVs, and packed the cooler and the car. He also made a final run to the dump.

What have we forgotten? Bob again forgot something in the refrigerator - this time bacon, which won't go bad right away but will be inedible when we get back.

Yorktown battlefield
I can't find my keys to the Mercedes - they may turn up in a pocket somewhere. I also forgot to pack a pair of black trousers (I only have blue) or a skirt or a long dress.

We shoved off from the dock (left the driveway) at 12:17. We were across the Potomac by 12:55.. and decided to eat lunch at Dahlgren where there was a choice of Mickey D's, Pizza Hut, KFC/Taco Bell and Burger King or we could have gone down to Port Royal and eaten at Hornes. There's also an Arby's being built. We picked Burger King... and were back on the road and down to Port Royal to turn onto US 17 by 1:35 p.m.

Fuel in the Tappahannock area was cheaper than in Leonardtown (where was $2.19/gal for diesel), so he wanted to fill up there.

Visitor's center film
We eventually got fuel across the Rappahannock in Warsaw for $1.99/gal

We've never been able to get to the Kilmarnock Museum (in the old Steptoe's Ordinary and which apparently has a film taken in 1952 when the town almost burned down) when we came to Chesapeake Bay Boat Basin by boat (Indian Creek off Fleet's Bay) so we were going down VA Route 3 to Kilmarnock. But we couldn't do that this time either.

The sign says it is open Thursday to Saturday 10-4 and it is only about 3 p.m. on Friday But it was closed. So I took pictures and we drove on towards Yorktown.  We continued on VA 3 across the Rappahannock, across the Piankatank and joined US Rte 17 down near Gloucester. Then proceeding through a town called "Ordinary" which was so small I didn't get a picture because we were through it before I realized we were in it, we cross the York River to Yorktown (above)and exited off 17 to go to the Battle Monument.

Yorktown battle monument
We can't check into the Cape Henry Inn before 4 pm, and it is less than 200 miles from Leonardtown to Virginia Beach, so I figure we can take a couple of detours

- ACK - the whole of Water Street in Yorktown has been torn up and is nothing but mud studded with earthmoving equipment. We turn around. Even the Waterman's museum which is on the west side of the bridge is closed. What to do? All I had originally intended to do was to visit the Battle Monument. I had not intended to go to the actual battlefield.  So I direct Bob to go to the Yorktown Battlefield Visitor's Center, from which I think we can get around to the Battle Monument. We get there just about 4:15 p.m. and bought a Golden Age Passport for $10. This allows the two of us a lifetime admission to all National Parks, Seashores, etc. and a reduced price on tours etc in the parks.

We had just time to see last showing the movie (at 4:30) all about how the French fleet defeated the British fleet off Hampton Roads, and about Cornwallis's surrender. This helped us to understand the information at the Cape Henry lighthouses better. From here we drove over to the Yorktown Monument (about 5 p.m.) where I took a picture of it at dusk.

hightide says:
Congrats on your featured blog! :D
Paulovic says:
Congrats on your featured blog!
Suusj says:
Hi RosalieAnn, congrats on your feature :).
Posted on: Jul 31, 2017
Thanksgiving - mother and oldest d…
Thanksgiving - mother and oldest …
Visitors center film