A day on the beach

Alvor Travel Blog

Well today was our first daytime experience in Alvor and after a nice lie in (missing breakfast in the process) we headed off for the beach. I had bought a little beach chair the night before so I relaxed and started reading "The Afghan" by Frederick Forsyth. Jill lay down on her towel and soaked as much sun in to her as she could!

It was quite windy today and Jill was covered in sand that was blown at her by the gusts. After a while we decided that the wind was just too strong and that it might be better by the pool. En route we stopped in a snack bar on the beach front and got some food and a drink. We then marched on to the pool where we were delighted to find a couple of free loungers! I continued to read my book and Jill enjoyed not being whipped by the sand!

This evening we decided that we'd play a game of tennis, so at 6.30 we headed down to the tennis club and booked one of the hard courts for an hour. It was 10 euro for the court and 7 euro for the rackets, which I thought, well, was a bit of a racket! That said we paid up and had an enjoyable game in the nice evening sun. We only managed one set with Jill winning it 7-6!

After tennis we returned to our room, showered up and got dressed and headed into town. Anyone who knows me well knows that I am a sucker for oriental food. Indian, Chinese, Thai, whatever, I love it all! Luckily, Jill also enjoys this type of cuisine! So tonight we decided to push the boat out and visit, a, yep you guessed it, a Chinese restaurant! The food was good, the wine and beer was good but the best part was the price. We got:

• Prawn crackers
  • Bottle of wine (75cl)
  • Bottle of water (1l)
  • Large beer (50cl)
  • Espresso

for a grand total of €38.10! And like all Chinese restaurants across the world, their servings were very big! After dinner we decided to get some drinks at the off licence and retreat to our balcony, as we were tired after the sun and tennis! We managed to pick up a makeshift cooler bag which works for about an hour on our travels too, so our drinks were reasonably chilled when we got back.