Arrival in the sunny Algarve

Alvor Travel Blog

 › entry 1 of 3 › view all entries

After luckily taking off on time, we arrived in Faro airport earlier than expected, and our luck continued as both our bags came out very quickly. We stepped outside the airport into the blazing sunshine and stood outside as we waited for our bus to begin its journey. We expected to be on the bus for at least an hour, but we were at our hotel in 50 minutes which was good!

First impressions of the hotel were very good. The reception area is nice and big, well air conditioned and decorated. The reception staff were reasonably helpful, but not all that friendly. We were given our keys and proceeded to our sea view room. The room is big and spacious, if a little dated, with a modernly renovated bathroom and a large balcony with a spectacular view. Our only gripe with the room was that it had no fridge or minibar, which would have been useful for keeping drinks cool. In fact, we later discovered that to get drinking water you had to purchase it from one of the hotel bars, which was very expensive compared to the 5 litre 80 cent bottles you could find in town!~

We arrived at about 5.30 so we decided to wander around the hotel and find the beach, which is only a short 2 minute walk away. We walked along the beach for a short time and then went into one of the beachfront snack bars for a drink and bowl of chips (french fries). After this we returned to the hotel room and got ready to head into the main Alvor town. There was an abundance of taxis waiting outside the hotel and it cost us 4.70 for the 2 minute journey. Every taxi since has charged 3.25 during the day and 3.80 at night, which is reasonable. If you walk instead it takes about 15 minutes by the road, but there is very little space for pedestrians to be honest, so it's not ideal in the dark!

After a quick wander around the main part of the town we ventured down to the marina area, where there were many seafood restaurants which cooked their fresh produce on coal barbeques at the front of the restaurant. The fish smelled good but Jill isn't fond of seafood and their meat dishes sounded a bit simple so we chose to dine in a place called "Captain's Table". I had vol au vent stuffed with mushroom which was truly delicious. We were waiting quite a long time for our main course, but the waiter was extremely apologetic and I never mind delays so long as they are followed by a sincere apology! He deboned my seabass in front of us and it was well worth the wait.

We were tired after our travels so decided to return to the hotel for a drink before heading back to the room. The hotel bar was very quiet and we soon found out why when we were charged just under 10 euro for a beer and a glass of wine. I expect to pay this price at home in Ireland, but earlier we got the same for 4.80 euro by the beach! We stayed for one drink and headed up to bed, as we wanted to make the most of the sun the following day!

Join TravBuddy to leave comments, meet new friends and share travel tips!