Driving around the Golden Circle and Flea Market

Golden Circle Travel Blog

my crappy parking job

I spent my last full day in Iceland doing the classic Golden Circle Drive around iceland.  After filling up at the Hilton Breakfast at the executive lounge we hit the road.  Our first stop was to see the famous Korportid Flea Market.  This was a disapointment and didn't really have any exotic goods, just more crap I've seen around Iceland.  Probably the cheapest place to buy souviners was actually the duty free store in Vik.  Luckily this was only a 10 minute diversion, and after a quick hot dog we hit the road:

The first stop was Þingvellir National Park, which is the site of the first parliment of iceland, and has a giant siesmic rift in the ground. Upon arrival you have to buy a parking pass, but someone leaving gave me theres.... the site is undergoing a massive expansion and they're building the facilities to handle the bus tour crowds According to my guidebook "Top 10 Iceland", this is the number one attraction in Iceland.

this be the hot dog place
  This was a really cool place, and besides the parking pass was free of charge.  Check out my photos of it.

After that we went to the Laugarvatn Fontana, which is a hot spring where we got to see a rye bread demonstration and have lunch and a soak, I'll write a review for this place.

Next we went to Gulfoss, which is the big waterfall.  This was suprisignly not crowded, and we hiked around it for a bit.  This is also the site of one of the very first enviromental protests in history when they attempted to damn it in the 1920's.  This was a magnificant site and the photos don't do it justice.

Finally on the way back to Reykavik we went to Geyser, which is a field of geysers you walk through.

Again this was completly deserted and a really cool site.  There was one big ass geyser, and a bunch of smaller steam seaps and little geysery things.

We completed this whole trip leaving at 10 am and being back the hotel by 7.  The distances involved were pretty sort, probably 90 minutes from Reykavik from Gulfoss which was the farthest point on this trip.  Also unlike Reykavik everything was pretty empty, and we weren't on top of eachother.  Also, the views on the drive may have been the highlight of this journey, so don't do it in the dark if you can.

Golden Circle