Arrival and hot tubs!

Selfoss Travel Blog

My only prior experience of Iceland was a family holiday at the tender age of ten. My memories of that particular trip are somewhat hazy, but I do remember certain fragments, such as walking on a dormant volcano, sticking my hand in a geyser (oops) and taking a dip in some of its many warm lagoons and pools. It was in the summertime too, so the weather was relatively mild…

This time around, I’d be visiting in the depths of winter, and so had layered up accordingly. Accompanying me were five teachers and 49 girls from the School I work at; yep, I’m a glutton for punishment I constantly going on overseas trips with School – the plus side is you get a free trip, the downside is you have to spend it in the company of children.

In fact, when we were at Heathrow airport one of the girls actually asked me why I was going on this trip, seeing as I would ‘have to look after loads of kids’ which would ‘surely do your head in’!

To be fair, the girls were by and large well behaved on the trip – the biggest headaches came in the form of them constantly cutting their fingers, requiring us to administer First Aid, and their penchant for losing their belongings – although there was one night that was particularly stressful. More on that later…

For now, our first evening in Iceland involved being picked up at the airport by our awesome guide Bryndis, who escorted us to our coach for the week, driven by our legendary bus driver Joel (whom the girls absolutely loved!).

In loading the coach with everyone’s baggage, it transpired that many of the girls had packed stupidly oversized bags for a six night stay. I mean, why? Talk about perpetuating gender stereotypes.

We had a brief stop off at a semi-active geyser on the Reykjanes peninsula enroute to our first night stay in Selfoss. Iceland is a land of geysers, a legacy of its volcanic geological makeup. It’s also a place smothered in a blanket of arctic weather, leading to the somewhat clichéd fire and ice moniker. It is these vivid contrasts that bestow Iceland with its magical, near-mystical status; little wonder that a surplus of legends exist in the Icelandic literary canon, principally through its sagas.

Our first night saw us get our first taste of the famous Icelandic ‘waters’. Both natural and manmade spa pools are dotted throughout the country, and in our hotel we had hot tubs ready and waiting for us. A soothing way to unwind and end our first day, before the full-on schedule that awaited us tomorrow.

joseph98 says:
Hahaha, no, far from it. I spent three weeks with a group of them in Tanzania last summer, and will be doing again summer next year! I guess I'm a glutton for punishment ;-)
Posted on: Apr 23, 2017
Toonsarah says:
What a great place for a school trip, and good that you get the chance to accompany the pupils although I imagine they're not the most restful of travel companions ;-)
Posted on: Apr 22, 2017
simsing says:
Congrats on the feature, Joe!
Posted on: Feb 21, 2017