AsiaChinaBeijing

Train trip to Beijing

Beijing Travel Blog

i got lost on the way to badaling bus stop..

I had no idea how to book train so i just let the people in hostel to do it! It was a bit expensive than I was expected. Paid around 900yuan for round trip but it was 4beds room so it was okay. I was so nervous about this train trip. I heard many stories of how bad and dangerous but those were only for cheap seats' people.  I got to Shanghai central station and waited for maybe 1 hour.  I got into my room and my roommates were chinese dad and daugher and a middle age man. I don't speak chinese and they don't speak english so I was quiet for the whole time.  I really wanted to sleep but these two men snored like pigs!!!!! I couldn't sleep for the whole night!!!! Just before we get to Bejing, I finally had a good sleep for a few hours because they were up early!!

I quickly stopped by at MacDonals and hurried to hostel by subway.

parking lot at badaling
Wow, Beijing's subway is old and dark but very easy.  My roommates from Shanghai(korean sisters) booked a room for me. One of them are studying in China so she speaks pretty good chinese! I thanked her so much. She called many places for me. Most of hostes were full or so expensive. I gave up and asked her to book one of the hostels even if it's expensive, i could handle it for a few nights..  There, I got to the hostel! Pretty big and the room was big too!! 4 beds, tv, tea, small bathroom. Bed wasn't comfortable though..  My hostel was 10 mintes from forbitten city. It was so easy to see around.

As soon as I got into my room, had shower and left to the wall. I wanted to leave more earlier but I was a bit tired and lazy :P  Got on the subway to the station where I had to take a bus.

badaling!!!
I got off and I LOST! For the first time there! I guess I went to the other side of the road.. I had told that the bus stop is very close to the station but I was walking about 15 mins and there was no bus stop and not crowded at all.. and looked around, something was wrong so I asked the guard or whoever it was standing. I showed my map and asked where was I? OH NO.. I was walking the other side for 15mins! What a wast of time and I was already sweating!!! Went back to the station and walked about 5mins, I found the bus stop!! HOLY COW! What was that line? I thought.. HA! It was waiting line for the badaling bus.. oh my... So I had to wait in that line under the shiny sun.. It was about 20mins or so!? Felt more longer because it was SOOO hot and almost noon!!  I finally got on the bus, paid money, and sat down.
the great wall, badaling
. whew, tired already><  It was a long trip to badaling.. I think it was 1 and a half hours.

I got to Badaling!! woohoo!!!! I wasn't imagine coming here!!! And why I picked badaling.. BAD choice.. It was So crowded...  Got a ticket and started to climbing!! WOW!!! That was great experience!! I was all by myself but i enjoyed a lot!! I didn't use cable car or any other weird thing. Only my feet! I went to north and south and the total was maybe.. 2hours. My legs were sore and tired and so sweaty!! But the sad thing was I got a bad tanned!! I was wearing a tank top and the sunburn was.. tanktop sunburn lol!! I still have that... pretty bad ><

Other than bad tanned, it was incredible!!! I'm glad that I made it!! It was too hot and tired so I left early.

badaling
Was waiting for the bus and 3girls from europe(not sure where.. maybe denmark or somewhere) broke into the line!! I was waiting for more than 30mins that time!!! I was so mad but I didn't have enough energy to say a word to them.. so I let them in...

Got back to the city in the evening. I was tired but I had to leave next day so I thought I should do sightseeing so I went to see Tiananmen square. I was staying about 10 mins from there so I just walked and took some pictures and so on.. Yeah, it was so beijing! haha!! And then walked around and found a mall. It was still hot so I went into that mall. HUGE!!! but it wasn't busy.  I just changed my nail color there and left to hostel.  Exhausted day!! Took a shower and was ready for bed.  There was a tv, since there was no music i thought I should watch tv.

at the great wall
I turned on the tv and saw Japanese cartoon called 'doraemon'. It's so famous in Japan but it was in chinese, of course so I took video from my digi-camera! It was funny!! Doraemon in chinese! weird!!

After I watched doraemon, I went to bed. Nicely quiet!! I couldn't slept well for a several days because other people snored so bad. That day was the only day that I slept REALLY well!! I remember I locked my room, key and chain . BUT in the middle of night, I heard someone was trying to open the door quietly but I was half asleep and wasn't sure it was my room or not... When I got up in the morning.. I found someone was sleeping!! I looked, there was a guy sleeping quietly! That noise from last night was HIM!! Oops, I locked :P How did he get in?? Anyway, I checked out and left my backpack there and left for another sightseeing.

some japanese were walking infront of me :)
My friend told me to go to silk street/market so I went.. That was crazy!! Fake brands, weird things, bags, shoes, clothes.. everything was in a big building!!!! Each shops were so tiny!! I didn't buy anything cuz they were all fake plus i was broke! It was fun to look around though!  One of western girls was asking the stuff for discount but I don't think she got any discount.. I wanted to go to the other places but I didn't have time to research so I went to the same mall where I went yesterday.  Didn't do anything special that day. I was tired from yesterday so I went to the station even if I knew it was way earlier for the train...  I was just So tired!!!! and too lazy to see around.. the great wall was enough for me :)

I left that night to Shanghai.

people, people
.. This time, roommates were better. 3 local guys. One of them spoke english so we did a little bit of chatting and watched die hard 4. His computer's buttery was gone so we couldn't finished that movie but couldn't help it!! So we all went to bed.. quiet night again! How lovely!!

Short visit to Beijing. Did nothing much other than going to the great wall but I was just so happy about it!!

lacarte says:
Badaling is the easiest part to access but i think its the least attractive part of the wall. maybe you should try 'mutianyu' in the winter, on a sunny day. the unrepaired wall with snow covered mountains was so beautiful.
Posted on: May 24, 2008
cmgervais says:
Good story... I always get lost, everywhere.
Posted on: Mar 19, 2008
miss_rain says:
a very exciting story, esp with getting lost and a mysterious guest at night too =D
Posted on: Mar 06, 2008
i got lost on the way to badaling …
i got lost on the way to badaling…
at the great wall
some japanese were walking infront…
some japanese were walking infron…
people, people
ice beer? it should be cold..
ice beer? it should be cold..
more people!!
more people!!
little cute boy
little cute boy
near silk market..
near silk market..
Beijing Hostels review
Great location
I didn't have time to see Beijing's hostels. I was looking for a cheap ones and found one but changed to this one.. My roommate in Shiagn hai hel… read entire review
Beijing