Start of the Trip

Baltimore Travel Blog

Leaving my house

Packed Tuesday of last week and weighed the suitcase (the big brown one). It was almost 50 lbs. Then other things had to be put into it - the extension cord for the scooter, which was heavy, and it ended up being 52 lbs. So I took the mouthwash (which I know I don't use up the whole bottle) and emptied about 3/4's of it out into the bigger bottle, and I also took out a raincoat which was in a package, and it ended up at just about 50 lbs. The carryon is heavy too.

This Tuesday all I had to do was finish packing my carryon and be ready to leave at 6:30 am on Weds. My plane was at 10:45 and I was figuring that we'd need to leave about 7, but Bob wanted to be there at 8:45 so we left about 6:30 He was complaining about the hour and also about the fact that there would be some rush hour traffic up at the Baltimore end.

Outside BWI
But we were actually there near 8:30. I found a place that said it was for unloading handicapped and we parked there, but had to walk across the bus lane to the check in. I was wearing my hat (with a chin cord), my passport case on a cord around my neck, my camera vest, my and my camera, and I had put the camera vest on over my seat belt, and I was completely bound into the car. I had to take the camera vest and all the stuff on top of my clothes off to get untangled.

So we walked across and I went to a lady whose badge said she was a Southwest employee and asked for a wheelchair and then Bob put me in line and left

In about 5 minutes a young lady came with a wheelchair and she went to the desk apparently to ask how to check in.

In a wheelchair waiting for the plane
She took my ticket. and said I didn't need my ID (which I knew was wrong) so I continued to get it out. She came back for it. The man took it all and weighted the bag, ticketed it, and gave her a boarding pass. I emptied my water bottle and we put the cane and my carryon in the chair with me and she took me to the security line where they inspected my passport carefully.

When we got to the scanner she said to me "I've saved you some time - I told them you couldn't walk." She managed to get the computer out of the bag, and ran that and the carry on and the cane through the screening. Then they came back for my water bottle \and then my hat, and then again for my passport case and camera and put those through. Then they came back again and made me take the camera vest off (they had previously thought it was some kind of medical device) and put that through.
On the plane
Then they wanded my hands, and I had to put all that stuff back on. She got the computer back into the carryon and took me to the gate (filling the water bottle from a drinking fountain on the way).

I was at the gate by about 8:45. I had nothing to do for 2 hours. I did get out my computer for a bit but the wi-fi apparently was not free. A plane came in to the gate and disembarked the passengers many of whom appeared to be a school group from A.J.Bell school wearing matching T-shirts (about 8th or 9th grade I judged - they were too well behaved to be 7th graders and too big to be 6th graders, but some of the boys were too short to be a higher grade.)

They started to board a little before 10. No one came to help with the chair so I got up (stepping on one of my shoelaces and untying it as I did so) and walked down the gangway, which was short.

Taking off
The male flight attendant asked if I wanted help with my bag, and I said yes, so he took it and put it someplace, but I didn't know where it was. I sat about three rows back, but I think I could have sat at the bulkhead because I didn't have anything to put under the seat. But there was enough room without that.

A tattooed man dressed in flip flops, shorts and a wife beater shirt came and sat in the aisle seat and took out an ipad and put it on the tray table and started playing computer games. The plane was fairly full and took over a half hour to board but apparently no one wanted to sit in between us so we had no middle seat companion. They gave us a bag of cheese nips and some peanuts, and I had a glass of cranapple and my seat mate had water and two mixed drinks.

Snacks
I talked to him a bit and he is apparently in construction - lives in the Houston area and was coming from a job in Mass. I think it was his company that built Cracker Barrel. His company does a lot of Darden Restaurants

I set my camera time back an hour, but didn't set my watch. They had taken my whole ticket when they gave me the boarding pass, so I didn't know what time we were to get there, but I thought it was close to one, and my watch said that's when it was and we didn't seem to be getting any closer to to ground. So I set my watch, but now my watch and camera did not agree. Maybe I had not reset my camera from our last trip or maybe I didn't save the change.

Outside BWI
In a wheelchair waiting for the pl…
In a wheelchair waiting for the p…
Curbside checkin